• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too many kata

SANCHIN31

In the enthusiasm of learning an art most want to eagerly learn new kata's. And actually get bored doing the ones they know over and over.

Then as one progresses and begins to really learn the uses and applications of a kata they see how much more there is to the kata they thought they already knew. At that point one often goes back to earlier kata and really begins to spend serious time working them.

That's an excellent and true observation.

A blackbelt is not the beginning,it's a piece of cloth,that's all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you understand kata properly you come to realise that kata bunkai is about teaching principles behind the applications. It is not about learning 1001 different techniques because you will get log-jam in a fight.

When you start to understand the principles you can look at as many kata as you want and pick apart moves that maybe look very different but make use of the same principles.. and it helps understanding of how important the principles are and can be applied to each technqiue.

You can also use the kata to help teach flow - and each kata will teach flow from different techniques and principles.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• 2 weeks later...

i find having all the katas in Shorin Ryu, as well as all the weapons forms can be a bit overwhelming, but you also have to realize that once you have them learned it gives you a bgger arsenal to work from

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Edit: How could I forget Chinto? *smacks forehead*

An interesting story my instructor* told me:

In the old days, the Okinawan kodansha had a meeting where such illustrious figures as Chojun Miyagi and Chosin Chibana were present. The topic: how many kata should they include in a karate curriculum? Ankoh Itosu had learned, created, modified and/or taught several kata (Naihanchi's [3], Pinan's [5], Passai's [2], Kusanku's [2], Jutte, Jion, [itosu] Rohai [3], [itosu] Wansu, Useishi, Niseishi, Seisan). The kodansha wanted to know if they should continue his legacy by teaching these and even more. Chibana said no. There came a point where people would become swamped with kata, and rather than looking and trying to implement the fighting techniques in kata would become "kata collectors." Chibana told them that he intended to limit his curriculum to the Pinan's, Naihanchi's, Passai's, and Kusanku's (he later created and implemented the Kihons into his curriculum, leaving the other Itosu kata as "option kata"). Chojun Miyagi agreed with him, informing the crowd that he also intended to limit his curriculum.

Kanbun Uechi agreed so wholeheartedly with the philosophy that his curriculum was originally 6 kata (though I think it expanded to 8...someone from Uechi Ryu correct me on this).

I guess the moral of the story is that this debate is nothing new, but that the late great's agreed that "Less is more."

*My instructor was a student of Chibana, so I'm sure the story is credible.

Edited by Skeptic 2004

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

"Kanbun Uechi agreed so wholeheartedly with the philosophy that his curriculum was originally 6 kata (though I think it expanded to 8...someone from Uechi Ryu correct me on this). "

Kanbun sensei brought back 3 kata; Sanchin, Seisan and Sanseiryu.

The rest (5 additional) were developed after his passing.

Too early in the morning? Get up and train.

Cold and wet outside? Go train.

Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. ~ Dave Lowry

Why do we fall, sir? So that we may learn how to pick ourselves back up. ~ Alfred Pennyworth

I was taking Northern Praying Mantis and Isshinryu concurrently the last two years.

Isshinryu has 8 empty hand katas and 5 or 6 weapons katas.

7 Star northern praying mantis had like over 30 total. I couldnt keep the commitment to both and just do Isshinryu now.

I am glad. Less is more. I would rather be good at a few rather than remember many.

O'Sensei Richard Kim would teach us three or four kata in a 4 day seminar. Some folks dedicated themslves to practicing every kata he taught. It seemed like that as he got older and more frail he wanted to teach everything he knew and it was a lot!

We ended up with over 80 kata, both empty hand and weapons kata. We'd often have three or four versions of the major kata and kata from other systems etc.

The funniest thing about it is, after my 30 yrs training, I can literaly say, "I've forgotten more karate than most people ever learn!" :)

• 2 months later...