• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The smartest thing I ever did... (Starting over)

SyracuseJundokan

I see a lot of threads here about "starting over" and giving up rank, etc.

The smartest thing I ever did when joining Jundokan was to walk into the dojo with a white belt on. I didn't see it as "starting over", I saw it as recognizing that I had an opportunity to be a beginner again and to set my mind to learning everything through a beginner's eyes. Additionally, the dojo seniors took me under their wing in a way that they may not have done had I worn my black belt. Within a (relatively) short amount of time, I had earned a Jundokan dan grade and it continues to mean much more to me than when I see others who simply walked in with high dan grades and were "recertified" in their new style.

The problem is that people consider their belt color a rank and not a grade. A rank indicates position and hierarchy and other things that are painful to give up. A grade indicates your ability level in karate and is specific to the style and school you are attending. To wear a grade belt that does not match this ability level is presumptious and will only get in the way of your progress.

So my advice is: let it go and let others see you for who you are and not what color your belt is. You are not starting over, you are adding to your experience.

$.02 for you!!

https://www.SyracuseJundokan.com

Authentic & Traditional Goju-ryu

WKF Competition Training

Jundokan Honbu: https://www.jundokan.jp

(While you're reading this, your next opponent is sweating in the dojo!)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

you see i didnt understand this at first, so i found a lot of the threads you were refering to...

this would not have crossed my mind, in my opinion if you are going to a new school then you should start over, i would never have thought to do other wise.

you should not be scared of learning, and of being a beginer, if you ego doesn't allow this then you have no place in the Martial Arts

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.

A very good post SJ. I agree with your personal philosophy on the grade and rank. It's all about learning and improving.

I will most likely take my Shodan grading within the next 6 months or so (scheduling is tough this time of year). I have been procrastinating for a while and have not been anxious to grade any time soon. The turning point for me was my dojomates telling me as far as we are concerned you are a BB already inside and outside you have nothing to prove to us.

Just please take the test already your making us look bad!!!! :P

That respect from those I train and learn with is worth more to me than a piece of cloth. That one statement changed and re-dedicated me I

WILL grade!!! :brow: :brow: :brow:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I walked into one of my sister schools yesterday for a sparring clinic/class. A friend, a 3rd dan in more than one art, and a great martial artist. Next minute, she put on a white belt (even after she helps me with forms technique) for a Tai Chi class. Man, that blew me away. She is such a humble person (She knows who I'm talking about ;) ).

Laurie F