tall vs short

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if this even a good answer but I think that it really doesn't matter tall or short the advantage I think lies in the experience of the person and not to metion how mad one person gets. Anger can play a strong roll in any fight. Besides I have seen some short people who have the range to fight outside and tall people who need to be in close.

Scott Walker

To Die Is To Suffer, But To Live Is To Find Meaning In The Suffering

I am not sure if this even a good answer but I think that it really doesn't matter tall or short the advantage I think lies in the experience of the person and not to metion how mad one person gets. Anger can play a strong roll in any fight. Besides I have seen some short people who have the range to fight outside and tall people who need to be in close.

it does matter because even when they dont realize it, their limbs are their limits, eventually the martial artist becomes aware of how to use his size.

If he cant use his size to his advantage, he needs to stop using his muscles and start using his brain.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Well if you are going to start throwing stuff like muscle and brain into the situation then doesn't it just come back to the old saying mind over matter? Cause truely I believe that if someone looks bigger than me then I am going to find a way to equal it out some how.

Scott Walker

To Die Is To Suffer, But To Live Is To Find Meaning In The Suffering

i like to give some credit to the muscle over the mind.

you will find people that are more "lucky than smart"

the better you know ur body, the best u can adapt to a situation, so, i give equal weight to the body as well as the mind in a fight.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

i like to give some credit to the muscle over the mind.

you will find people that are more "lucky than smart"

the better you know ur body, the best u can adapt to a situation, so, i give equal weight to the body as well as the mind in a fight.

I like that answer. My view on this point is that I use my mind during alot of training exercises and drills, when I am in a "battle" I forget my thoughts and rely on the body to carry out what my mind set it out for.

The mind trains the body to think on its own, the body trains the mind to become absent when required. It then becomes obvious that one needs balance, and it is also critical not to surround yourself with techniques but its important to flow in your own way. Your own way becomes your martial art because we all know that ones martial art becomes apart of them.

I often get frustrated when I hear of discussions that say certain styles(probably the more traditional ones) have completely different mind sets in the heat of a battle. I would disagree...Yes training methods are very different indeed, but to empty the mind...How many variations of that are around? I think its a universal feeling(true empty mind) that is similar which is achieved through different means. You can free your mind with any style, just in the end, your body will carry out different sub-conscious means of accomplishing a goal. Now that is a very broad approach, but I would like this to be taken in a general sense.

Now in anyway I am NOT saying that I completely understand the concepts, however, I think I'm learning enough to discuss it...

I know that I have never experienced a complete empty mind, but I don't train with that in mind also, then I would contradict myself. So I just train, and sometimes I feel more liberated at some times more than other times, who knows when one will reach this awesome point.

When the mind is absent, I find it gets its maximum power. This being said, to have your mind become absent, its obvious that one needs strenuous training and long training to achieve this.

So I think its the Mind which is most vital, but mostly in the sense that it is the mind which is the MOST responsible in ones training. Suddenly the body seems to become much more than what it seems(to me anyway).

Sometimes I confuse myself with that approach!

Note: When I said its important not to surround ones self with techniques, I mean that your body should already be living your style of training, and the body should naturally move accordingly. During formal training, I like to cloud my mind with technique fixing and corrections so later I can reflect with more training, and then when I need it, I dont have to go through the thought process.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by Menjo

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

and not to metion how mad one person gets. Anger can play a strong roll in any fight.

Hmmmm...I'm assuming that you mean that one can get alot more power in a situation from anger.

If one can do that with anger alone, imagine someone who has complete control of every inch of their body, and suddenly used enough spirit to benefit from the powers of anger, and at the same time, get the powers of balance and control. With total control, one can reach a higher power level than even anger. I would not want to fight any opponent who has the ablility to manipulate me in anyway they find useful, and at the same time, have the ablility to kill me without little or no effort, and also, have a spirit and body power to overcome my anger and adrenaline.

Anger is easily manipulated, one can do many things to manipulate the situation for thier advantage agaisnt an angered opponent. It may be emotional, physical, or mental, regardless...

Control in this sense also doesnt have to be taken as the typical small asian master who is enlightened. A UFC fighter would have control over any slum bar fighter who hasnt reached the same martial skill, or like any other skilled martial artist. Control can open you to use spirit and the benefits of anger without any regret.

Control is what I aim for, but for anyone, I believe this is difficult to achieve.

P.S.-Sorry for going off-topic with this.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 2 months later...

the tall guy has the advantage unless he sucks at fighting :karate:

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido