• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tall vs short

I would say that if a short and tall person with equal intelligence, strength, stamina, had the exact same training, the taller person would have the advantage obviously because of his/her reach. However a good instructor will teach a person to utilize their size advantageously, if that were the case, I would say both fighters are matched. It really is all about training, preparation, and anticipation.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short people. they could get around the taller people faster and the taller people would have to punch down at the shorter person

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

well the shorter person has more levebility, but the taller person has easier acess to the shorter persons pressure points and stuff like that.

but in the end, it usually relies on strength and technique

Martial Arts Is A State Of Mind, Not A State Of Brutality

I would say that if a short and tall person with equal intelligence, strength, stamina, had the exact same training

That's impossible to do , even if the train in the same style , the short guy would focus on close range techniques which suit him the most and vice versa

Tall persons have the distance advantage , however , short persons usually guard better than taller guys

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The size of a person has little relevance. Anyone who has the ability and confidence can finish a fight irrespective of their size. A taller person may be at a dissatvantage in so far as they will automatically think that they would be able to overpower a shorter person.

Experienced Martial Artist know that this is definitely not the case.

It only takes one blow to finish any oponent big or small. Either could land it. Confidence,skill and luck are the deciding factors, not size.

Daikento Shukokai Karate

The size of a person has little relevance. Anyone who has the ability and confidence can finish a fight irrespective of their size. A taller person may be at a dissatvantage in so far as they will automatically think that they would be able to overpower a shorter person.

Experienced Martial Artist know that this is definitely not the case.

It only takes one blow to finish any oponent big or small. Either could land it. Confidence,skill and luck are the deciding factors, not size.

that is VERY untrue. size matters on a lot of different levels. Now, that said, size becomes more of a factor as skill levels become equal. the big, strong, UNTRAINED guy can give a smaller, trained guy fits, but he's beatable. Against a big, strong, TRAINED guy, my money is on the big guy. Why do you think they have weight classes in organized fighting? because size matters.

height matters from a strategy perspective. if you are shorter, you have to be able to get inside of the tall guy in order to be effective, otherwise you won't be able to touch him. Watch tyson in his prime. He was a master at getting on the inside, so even though he was always shorter, he overcame the reach disadvantage. Now, watch his fight with lennox lewis. Lewis ate him alive because he couldn't get inside. That is a perfect example of why these things matter.

As far as finishing with one blow... good luck. That is more the exception than the rule.

You need to step out of the viewpoints that originate from sport, and look at size from a reality perspective. Sport will always be controlled. Real fights are finished by the stronger fighter, not necessarily the larger fighter. Experience and confidence are the key factors not size.

With regards to elbows and knees comments regarding Mike Tyson, He still hasn't stepped into the K1 ring. Maybe he got cold feet?

Daikento Shukokai Karate

You need to step out of the viewpoints that originate from sport, and look at size from a reality perspective. Sport will always be controlled. Real fights are finished by the stronger fighter, not necessarily the larger fighter. Experience and confidence are the key factors not size.

With regards to elbows and knees comments regarding Mike Tyson, He still hasn't stepped into the K1 ring. Maybe he got cold feet?

you need to step out of the martial arts nostalgia. Also, re-read what I said. Bigger and trained, advantage bigger guy. big and untrained, he can still give you fits, but will be easier to beat. I work at a bar and see it every night. I've seen too many MA get schooled by untrained bigger guys. you can't deny that size matters, regardless of whether it's a ring or the street. Once the fight starts, confidence doesn't matter much. confidence may end a confrontation BEFORE it starts, by making the guy think you can hold your own - he may think twice. But once the fists fly, confidence means squat. It's experience, skill and mentality then.

As for tyson and k-1, I wouldn't do it either. The paychecks can't compare to what he gets in boxing. He's a professional, after all. On the same token, you don't see them stepping into a boxing ring either...

I've been talking to some friends of mine who happen to be short- they all wish they were taller.

they have a lower center of gravity... it makes it easier for them to throw taller guys. Sharpen their footwork, work their infighting and teach them some throws and I bet they will eventually change their mind.