• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tall vs short

Size and streangth can usually do a fairly good job of making up for skill, add in the factor that you have no idea if the bigger guy attacking you has done some boxing, wrestling, etc. and they are a force to be reckoned with (I'm about 6' but am so light that I have to be careful to work on my grappling!). I've heard that smaller guys can be more vicious fighters though...it all depends on the person. If I were betting, I'd probally bet on the tougher looking guy because let's face it....most people don't train in fighting, and alot who do never train for an actual fight....

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being the size I am I've found reading this thread very interesting- I was unaware for example that Kung Fu was known for being an effective style for shorter practitioners. In terms of playing to strengths (and sorry for briefly going off topic, but it is related), which styles emphasize the advantages of reach and height and which negate them? From the posts that have gone before it seems TKD for the tall chaps, and most other styles for everyone else!

Being the size I am I've found reading this thread very interesting- I was unaware for example that Kung Fu was known for being an effective style for shorter practitioners. In terms of playing to strengths (and sorry for briefly going off topic, but it is related), which styles emphasize the advantages of reach and height and which negate them? From the posts that have gone before it seems TKD for the tall chaps, and most other styles for everyone else!

Well, you would think that TKD would work the best for taller people. I feel that this main concept comes from the competition aspect, as opposed to the self-defense aspect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If i spar someone shorter than myself, i can generally keep them at bay with jabs. When i spar someone the same height it tends to be more physical, more rough and tumble. I cannot say i prefer to fight short or tall, as all people bring different skills to the game.

Never underestimate anyones size as a few lads in our club are shorter but their speed is greater than mine , and they have big hearts. Its the individuals skills that matter not size :)

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

Being shorter than my usual sparring partner (my room-mate), I can't out-strike him easily. I've done it, but it takes a lot of effort to muster up the initiative to step through his barrage and gain distal advantage.

But I always whoop his butt on the ground.

I believe this is because people with longer limbs give those of us with knowledge of groundwork an easier out. We have more leverage to work with, and more limb to grab. I always tie him up horrifically when he's on his back, because he just can't handle me as easily as I can handle him; he doesn't have as much to grab.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

I'd say in any situation, be it a street fight or sparring in the dojo, the tall guy has the advantage. Thats not to say that shorter people can't suceed but its way harder wen there are punches and strikes raining down on you.

I'd say in any situation, be it a street fight or sparring in the dojo, the tall guy has the advantage. Thats not to say that shorter people can't suceed but its way harder wen there are punches and strikes raining down on you.

Well, I think that skill level will still play a part. Howerver, height does weigh heavily if the two are very close in skill. However, there are ways to get inside and shut things down. It depends on how well each can adapt to the others.