• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tall vs short

ok then i bow out to your more extensive knowledge of him.... would you saythat counts as a general rule? or was there something specil about tyson?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in general, punching doesn't set up slipping - slipping sets up counter punching. I may lead with a jab so that I may get a step closer to you, but I have to wait for you to make an opening in order to slip inside. that opportunity is when you throw a punch. I can slip inside of it, getting closer to you, and return a punch of my own, after which the rest of my infighting follows.

when you are talking about infighting, having the guard extended as you do when you are further away makes it A LOT easier for someone to get a punch in on you. by keeping the fists in tight, you are protecting your face - pretty much the only easy open target is the forehead. this makes it easier for you to slip in, only risking minimal damage, as you can shake off solid shots to the forehead pretty easily.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm a short guy and was just in a mixed martial arts tournament on the weekend and for what i experienced the tall guy has a small advantage. but the person who has the real advantage is the one who practises constantly. my dojo is open twice a week and its hard for me to find time outside the dojo. the other competitors dojos open 7 days a week. i lost,no hard feeling though

Perhaps, but I'm no so sure grappling is that much better to short people than to tall people. And it's not THAT easy to get in close in a steet fight, the tall guy might have a chance to land a solid one before the shorter one can even make an attack. I'd advantage the taller guy.
Do me a favor and go get ADCC 2003. Abu Dhabi is basically the super bowl of grappling. Marcelo Garcia won the all around competition(no weight restrictions). Garcia was the shortest man in the whole tournament. I think height has MUCH more to do with striking then grappling.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake

It does'nt really depend on weather the person is short or tall, it does'nt matter, it depends on the person and how good is he or she defending himself. Remember Bruce Lee was only 5'7 and he was one of the best.

Height does have more to do with striking than grappling, but in general, taller guys have more of an advantage. Yes, the shorter guy is harder to throw, may be able to shoot in easier too, and once inside the reach can land devistating blows (ala Tyson) although the clinch game beings to go into effect. The taller guy, however, has that reach, has mechanically a stronger arm (short guys lift more, but for half the distance), and plenty more "moves" (better word?) at their disposal for on the ground. In many ways the shorter guy is more manuverable, but the taller guy still has the advantage.

However! A shorter guy who can shoot in (or get in and land hooks and uppercuts) can use a taller guy's height to his disadvantage and here it starts going to skill, aaand I've talked myself full circle.

Wow, such a simple question has turned into one of the best posts....

• 2 weeks later...

Now im not going to take sides, but from my experience...Shorter people always took the cup. Thing was, you can be tall and super powerfull with reach and what not. This is all in dismay if some one who is smaller and more menuverable just steps away from your sliding side kick per say. It's true that with long reach, some one should never come close to you. But once the shorter person is close, try pulling off a "finishing" kick or punch. you need to either step back, or pull your arm/leg far back to gain the momentum to hit them. At that point the small dude usually just has your stomach in ruins and way.

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends. I am one of the taller people in my class and every once in a while we do sparring and i have a lower stance than some shorter people in my class so your center of gravity doesnt really have much to do with your hieght but then a short person can do the same and can easily be just as strong as the taller person so it doesnt really make much of a difference in my opinion.

Also, grappling works pretty well with smaller people as they dont have to get the other person as high off the ground to throw them.

Its really just whoever is a better fighter as Gojo_Boi said.

Edited by Why_Worry

Focus

Now im not going to take sides, but from my experience...Shorter people always took the cup. Thing was, you can be tall and super powerfull with reach and what not. This is all in dismay if some one who is smaller and more menuverable just steps away from your sliding side kick per say. It's true that with long reach, some one should never come close to you. But once the shorter person is close, try pulling off a "finishing" kick or punch. you need to either step back, or pull your arm/leg far back to gain the momentum to hit them. At that point the small dude usually just has your stomach in ruins and way.

Yeah as he said it doesnt really make a difference. If you think about it when someone kicks at you whether they are bigger or smaller it doesnt really make a difference. I know from basic reaction i do a monkey block so even if they are alot taller with a bigger reach, they are still gonna be really close in now and off balance no matter what wether they are bigger or smaller than me. IT reall matters on technique.

Focus