• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In the street it is even easier, no rules means you can finish quickly. If you fight enough though your gonna get finished sooner or later. :D

Exactly!

An elbow strike to the jaw is pretty much the same in almost every art. A knee to the groin is pretty much universal. There are tons of seriously damaging techniques that are common.

I think of it as a painting. The basic painting (kicks, strikes, etc.) is pretty much the same, but the frame you put around it (Which art you are in) enhances the picture in different ways.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would never say its inferior to another art.I am just saying the majority of tkd schools are sport.As for sparing compitions good job.But as i said point spariing is not at all the same as continos contact were your opinot doest stop.

i would never say its inferior to another art.I am just saying the majority of tkd schools are sport.As for sparing compitions good job.But as i said point spariing is not at all the same as continos contact were your opinot doest stop.

i totally agree .

As for the street situation , in a perfect world the theorie of one shot one death works Perfectly , have you ever applied that in real situation ??? Sure that in-ring action is gonna help you maintain your nerves and apply the right move etc ....... & sure you may be able sometimes to knock down your opponenet from the first shot , however , you would be surprised how much it could take to finish a human , and most of all , street situations are unpredictable . That’s were the effectiveness of an art appear , for instance MOST ( not all ) of Muay tai , boxers , Kyokushin karate-kas , BJJ guys ( just to name a few ) can handle themselves in a street environement while students under other arts fail . Why ??? a typical answer " Depends on the person " why always blaming the person ??why not admitting that some arts ( it's better to say some sports ) are not effective outside the ring ???

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I forgot to mention , Most of arts we do have similar points due to their origin , inheritance and the influance of one art on other arts . But don't expect to use your knees and elbow strikes as good as an MT guy do , and don't expect that an MT guy is as fast as a TKD guy , after all it's what you do in the ring !!!!!!!!

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Yes I have had plenty of practice in the area that I live.

I agree with some of what Y2_sub said, but I still think you are complicating the issue.

Most fights on the street could last three seconds because of the options available, in a fight of this nature you either win or recieve a beating that could result in death.

Anyway we have come away from the original question and gone into a subject that we can't resolve. So arriva derchi.

Edited by Sabumnim

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

I guess I'm one of those few TKD students whose instructor prefers to approach his teaching of TKD from the self-defense standpoint. Yes, we also do poomse, and some sparring work, but he teaches a lot of self defense in class. He even goes against recommending entering tournaments except for forms competitions. I rather like the "non competition" style of training, as it all doesn't center around how to score points in a match, but more on how to handle being choked or grabbed, that sort of thing, as well as how to apply the "basic" TKD techniques in self defense as well as traditional applications.

what goes around, comes around

Sabumnim - wheres the 3 seconds you state come from? any personaly experience or is it just something read somewehre [if so could oyu link to the source for me].... just interested becuase all the fights ive seen out of the ring have lasted a lot longer.

Well Sam my ITF friend, you haven't seen me fight. :D

I admit the fights I have seen last a lot longer than three seconds.

I forgot to put could

My bad

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

yes - ok then i agree - a fight cna usually end before its starts properly - bottle over the head, etc.

But overall you should expect it to continue that way at least you are prepared..... what ITF organisation are you from?