• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ankle Wraps or high laced 'martial art' shoes?

I've been struggling with ankle injuries over my lifetime, and they seem to get progressively worse, and take longer to heal. For non martial arts applications, i can get away with your basic lace up stirrup type brace, but cant find a suitable setup for the mat.

The main problem is that all of the braces ive tried have reduced the amount of friction between my feet (i wear two) and the mat to a degree where im sliding across it, which has applied to all types of mats.

Im curious if any of you have experienced the same dillema, or if any of you have found an effective solution.

If, by chance, some of you have taken the 'martial arts shoes' approach to this, and adopted one that you feel addresses the issue, then i would also love to take a look at what you have to say, and specifically what shoes have served you best.

Im thirty now, and need a proactive method to increase the longevity of my ankles, so i can count on kicking around the mat for forty or so more years:)

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

GT

"What do you tell a guy with two black eyes?-nothing. Somebody's already told him. Twice."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have worn high topped martial arts shoes for grappling and found them to work well enough although the ankle support may not be enough for you. I suppose you may be able to come up with a combination of braces & shoes?

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 1 month later...