• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I go the other way.I dont think its that important to know every style to be effective plus who has the time for all that training anyway.I tihnk if you master your art to a very high level or just one move I think it would be very difficult for most fighters to beat you.if you had the best side kick on the planet who could beat you?

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people if they know how to deflect a side kick. The point is you need to be effective in all areas of combat, stand up, ground, striking, grappling. Better to be good at all of them than to be ultimate in one, people can always find a way to deflect or counter your "perfect move".

Hudini (I think it was), was said to be able to take a hit to the gut from any no matter how strong, every man who tried to hit him couldn't hurt him, when he was flexing his abs.

Well, one day while Hudini was talking to someome or doing something, an average built guy came from behind him, tapped on Hudini's shoulder causing him to turn around and surprised him with a hit to the gut. He got severely damaged by this and I don't know how many hours later he died.

No one, while he was ready, could hurt him with a hit the the stomach, so someone figured out how Hudini did it, and found a way to counter it. If (for example) you have the best side kick ever, someone will find a way to counter it to get to a close enough range so that you can't execute a side kick.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

I agree that a person has to be effective in all ereas of combat, but I don't think cross training which is so popular now is the way to go.If you cross train that means you are not spending enough time on your art.If your doing say 3 different systems how can you compete with someone in that system who only does that one art?How could you reach the same level?When you mentioned someone could counter your side kick.Any technic can be counterd there is no move that can't.If someone can counter your move then he is at the same level as you, so you need to pactice more not learn a nother system.When you read about great fighter in the past, they all used very few moves to defect their opponent.So I guess what I was trying to say it's quality that's more important then the quanity..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

I think that Ninjitsu is all around effective in pretty much every area of combat.

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

except there's no sparring in ninjutsu cause "someone might get killed" (got that from an 8th dan bujinkan instructor, not myself)

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

"Perfection is impossible, we as mortal beings can only strive to see it's glory" - CloudDragon.

What is perfection? If someone comes at you with a sucker punch and you toss them to the ground and immobilize them with a wrist lock, is that perfection?

If someone does a sidekick, and you block it, and step into a rear naked choke, is that perfection?

Or, a person intent on harming you is convinced that, by your words, that a physical confrontation is pointless and then goes on his way. Is that perfection?

I think so.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

But if you take ninjitsu, it really gives you so much confidence and I can tell you that if you tell someone you take ninjitsu they won't mess with you. Unless they're stupid

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Ok - obviously you're slightly biased "Ninjitsu", and you obviously love your trianing and the confidence you get from it, so i hope you continue to do so.

However, its going ot be very difficult to convince people that ninjitsu is capable all round in all areas of martial arts.. .simply because it lacks sparring, adn therefore without experience in attack / defense in a more live situation, the theory is unlikely to be put into practice that much.

Im not saying sparring is the be all and end all of MA practice, just that for an MA to be perfect it surely should have all aspects covered, and sparring is an aspect of MA.

Also though I agree with CloudDragon - in a "perfect" situation there would be no fighting - but the world isnt perfect so we learn MA.