• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

dad's not in charge

I've got a bit of a problem.My sempai asked me to teach two new students over the summer,a father and his ten year old son.But it seems that everytime we're training and I am correcting the son on something the dad pipes in with his own advice,witch sometimes isn't very good.

So how do I tell him that I'm the teacher and I'll do the teaching?

What makes it worse is the fact that he's an elder in my church.So I can't just say be quiet and let me teach,can I. :)

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really hard for parents to overcome that advice giving instinct.Try a simple explanation of the teacher/student roles first.Avoid making it sound like you are undermining his parental authority.Just focus on the fact that they are both learning something new and in that sense they are on somewhat equal footing at this point.Later if/when dad slips and gives a bit of advice,you can use it to tactfully lead into a fuller explanation of the correct technique or strategy.

You might be able to use his role as church elder as a good comparison point for the teacher/student conversation.For example,if he as an elder were leading a group discussion of church doctrine then it wouldn't be helpful if a less knowledgeable person were to try to "assist" with inaccurate information :idea:

hajime~kyu

The more I think I know, the more I find I have to learn.

also - when he does pipe up, just let him know that "its one awy of doign it, but when you consider.... x reason, what im about to say is better :D" so still keeping it polite getting ur message across....

I know what you're talking about. I've been in karate for almost ten years. My father who has never taken one class trys to give me advice in tournaments. I tried to tell him it didn't help and he got really agitated. So, be careful how you deal with fathers.

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

In that environment you are the more experienced, you should tell him or it will continue. Be polite of course but if he gives inaccurate advice it will damage his sons learning which might come back to you.

Fathers will always be a problem...

In my last tournament the father of my final opponent would watch each fighter and try to evaluate their style, and note their weaknesses. This was a celebrational tournament, something to be enjoyed.

It must have worked because he got to the final, after the first round I was up three-nil and the guys dad looked really angry.

Both of us were 16, how stupid is that?

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

maybe you can teach them seperately. schedule dads lesson and a different time than the son's lesson. therefore, eliminating that "father knows best" predicament. hope this helps.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

well I can't realy teach them at different times though if I cuold that would eliminate the problem.

Any other ideas?

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

I think some of the suggestions made already are worth trying, just be polite, and maybe explain why what he's saying may not be the best....

You could try whenever the dad try's to correct something thats wrong, and he's wrong...SHOW him why its wrong, and the right way to do it.

That way the father AND the child will learn the right things together.

Hand to hand, heart to heart

If you don't come, i will not start

But if you start, i will arive first

And hit you continuiously untill i see red.

Do the technique slowly and explain at the same time, their is no way he can try and give his own advice when you have shown them how to do it. If he does your just gonna have to tell him straight or tell your instructor.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee