• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anime

SBN Doug

I really liked evangaleon, cowboy bebop, and escaflowne as far as series go.

I HATE it when movies are dubbed. I totally agree that it changes the tone of the characters and feel of the movie.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also hate dubbing, live or animated! I much prefer subtitles.

I have only seen a few anime:

"Rurouni Kenshin"--nice backgrounds and costumes, but after about five or six episodes I got bored with it because the plots were so repetitive. I'd start watching, think "Yawn, another ninja," and change the channel.

"Tenchi Muyo"--an incredibly weird story (rabbits that turn into spaceships?) about a nerdy high-school kid who finds out he's actually the rightful ruler of an alien planet and who collects a harem of nubile females. (Gee, I wonder what demographic this one was aimed at? :D ) However, there was one really well-staged scene where a couple of samurai-type characters ("knights," they were called in the subtitles) who are assisting Tenchi in his quest fight off a couple of evil knights. It was a really good fight scene. I borrowed my Internet alias from this show; one of the good knights was named Kamidake. (I used it not so much because the scene was THAT good, but because I thought it was a pretty name.) A penpal of mine wanted to know why Samurai Jack "scream((s)) like he's getting a bikini wax " when he fights off bad guys :lol: , and I explained what little I know about kiai and suggested she watch "Tenchi" for a good example, because in that excellent fight scene all four of the knights were kiai-ing like mad.

"Ninja Scroll"--big-time sex and violence. I found the plot completely incomprehensible. Anybody who understood it, please explain it.

That's all I've seen. I think the concept of anime is great (I love good animation), but I am not particularly impressed with the application. For one thing, the pop-eyed look of many of the characters annoys me. They look like they've been to the eye doctor and had those drops put in their eyes.

Ah Tenchi, I liked the first series the best, but the second was good too. I was never really into the third.

Kamidake, huh? Good thing you explained you liked the knights. I was thinking you liked them as the "guardian" tree stumps. :lol: :lol:

j/k

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I would have loved to have seen them insert the following scene.

Kamidake is sprawled out in front of the TV drinking beer and watching baseball. Mrs. Kamidake comes in almost wearing a bit of black lace and stands waiting to catch his eye. And waits. And waits. And waits. Finally the frustrated Mrs. Kamidake bursts out, "You're about as romantic as a log!" And Kamidake raises his eyebrow at her and says, "Well, whaddaya expect?"

:lol:

All you "subtitle ers", how do you watch them this way? Do spend outlandish amounts of money buying all the tapes, our is there a way to rent them somewhere?

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually buy dvds nowadays, as they are usually hybrids with either japanese language or english language...of course this eats into my budget quite a bit...also, you can download "fan-subbed" files of shows that are airing in japan still on programs like mirc. I used to do this for stuff that wasn't licensed in the U.S. and as a result, have seen some anime that hasn't been released in the U.S. or are just starting. Of course nowadays, the U.S. is releasing some stuff that just finished airing in Japan less than a year ago (Noir, Chobits, etc).

Now I just buy dvds because I like them...(and I'm a hopeless addict)...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a few, but none of them I can find here in the US. Here's some of the anime I have seen (and liked).

Berserk-mini series.

Lupin III-series.

Fushigi Yuugi - series.

Samurai X - series.

DB, DBZ, DBGT. (and most of all the movies)

Tenchi Muyo in Love-movie

Spirited Away-movie

Princess Mononoke-movie

I can't remember the titles to another series I used to watch overseas, but it was good.

I've seen most of what other people have, but I only listed the ones I really liked.

I don't watch much animation today. Don't have much time.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein