• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

common mistakes in sparring

My biggest mistake is overcoming my instincts. After years in the Army, I often go for knees or heads, which is generally frowned upon in the class. Also, I study Ju Jitsu as well as TKD, so if someone clinches I'll do a joint lock or something. It kind of upsets some guys. Others don't mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My common mistake? am i let girls attack me first and hitting them softly

when fight with boz i just kick them once and on the floor hahahah

i travel to bangkok and take on eropean style i beta all of them well nearly

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)

My mistake is that i cant just block. My sensei sometimes spars with me . He is damn too fast. I cant block his kicks. Then i back up too much instead of blocking.

Angel

YELLOW BELT Shotokan Karate Ka 5th Kyu

Turkey

Karate is for Self Defense not Offense

• 1 month later...
If your Kata and Basics are good, your sparring should also be good.

I'm sorry, but kata and basics dont' have much to do with sparring. I know WAY too many people with good kata and basics that SUCK at sparring.

pizzaboy"]My common mistake in sparring is withdrawing or backing up too much. My sensei tells me to either counter and punch, or step to the side but do not back up. He saids only do it as part of a strategic strategy. I do it alot. What is your mistake in sparring?

I think my most common mistake is just to spar in the first place!!! :lol:

But to be serious, I have to admit that I back up a lot, and I dont do a good job blocking

Kuk Sool Won Jae Jah

Jah Ddi (Brown Belt)

• 2 months later...

My mistake is not counter punching quick enough or going on the ofensive when I catch them off guard.

There is also my lack of flexibility (I am working on it), I cannot kick high enough, yet.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is certainly a very hot topic, like who doesn't make mistakes, we're all human, except maybe Muay Thai Fighter. :karate:

I've been sparring for just over 6 months, at this time of writing, and have achieved orange kyu. I love sparring, but until I developed a defence, got beaten every time. It's a learning process, that probably doesn't stop.

Katas and sparring combinations are good in tournaments and when you don't know what to do, like being a beginner, like me!

Anon is partially right, practice makes perfect. More sparring practice will develop your skills, strategy and proficiency, along with a lot of other stuff, like stamina. :lol:

I too, did all the mistakes listed in these posts, but am trying to overcome them. I'm definately more wary. Sparring is a mindset, you against your opponent. I don't think I have as an intense concentration when doing katas as I do in sparring. Hell, if you don't, you get hit. Who wants that??

I still make mistakes, short memory, I guess. :lol: OH, did we just practice that move last lesson?.....Hmmmm......

What I do do is when a kick or combination is performed at me, and I don't counter it well, I ask my uke to repeat the move and develop my strategy for countering. I find this way the best way to learn as there is always a counter move, it's just the mind doesn't think of it fast enough. I guess that's where practice comes in, doesn't it?