• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

common mistakes in sparring

Well my most common problem would have to be a bit to friendly at the begining :nod:

Also not attacking as much intil afterward or not attacking first andthen i have to blocking.

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AO is right in some aspect. Learn the basic. Even a street fighter has to learn the basic. Punch, hook and upper cut. It might take him a few black eyes and bloody noses, but after that he's punching people like most street fighter. The only reason a street fighter might win over a well trained martial artist is that they are comfortable in that situation or settings. They are use to the flood of emotion that accompanies an agressive situation; not to say that sparring in training is not as agressive. It just happen that my partner in training does not want to tear my heart out and eat it in front of me, but want to help me progress in MA.

About sparring in training, obviously a student can't sparr someone without the basic. Either he'll get beaten or will develope bad habits if he tries to train and sparr at one time. Most people are not naturals at any martial arts. Techniques must be broken down so they can train at their own pace, away from students who they find intimidating.

What AO over look is that most MA does not consider kata as truely training. That true in my opinion. For example: I work out on a heavy bag 2 times a week, perfecting my technique, enabling me to punch faster, kick with more power. Often times picturing an opponent as the heavy bag. But I need to come to class to sparr, or pick fights on the street to be able to use my knowledge effectively. I need someone to punch at me, know how to defend, develope footwork, and learn what works. Not that kata is not an effective training tool. Its just not effective in these modern days with fast food and information at one's finger tips. People want to learn matial arts fast and how to use it effectively even faster.

I find katas as a great stress reducer because it helps me focus. My girlfriend does also, but that not appropiate to discuss here."To be the wiser of all men, one must look at a situation from all perspective."

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Booyah here comes the nonsense from the know it all.

Anonymous is wrong,

Hes also right,

:grin:

These are all karate kata bits so please forgive me people from other styles.

its how you look at it, my favorite combination right now (works like 90% of the time) is a lead jab into a lead leg round house kick, followed by a reverse punch. oddly enough i just started throwing it one day. then it hit me :wink: take away my footwork, throw the round house kick a little differently and land in a horse stance instead of a front stance for the reverse punch and WALLA you have a move right out of gankaku (chinto for you non japanafiedos).

there is soooo sooo much bunkai that you can use in sparring, try doing the "wristgrab escape/collarbone attack" the 3rd move in heian shodan/pinan nidan. but do it when someone is throwing a back leg front kick at you. just do it see what happens, go right in the to step in punch. Picture it? Beautiful, it makes a wonderful counter/takedown. and all you shotokanites have already practiced it 300-3 million times.

now for the other side. You cant be a good fighter if you dont fight.

You cant really understand kata unless you fight either ;p

Im a better fighter because i do kata.

but that comes after i fight enough to understand certain techniques :wink:

And good basics give you the tools, they dont give you the knowladge on how to use them, trial and error gives you that. and occaisionally kata gives sage like advice when you dont expect it to ;p

oh and my biggest problem is i dont counter well. My kumite coach advocates aggression, and i catch people when im aggressive. So im not sure thats a problem, it might just be motivation to keep doing what im doing.

Once again, Correct me if im wrong.

I advocate balanced training. A balance between basics, Kata, sparring, bag work, makiwara work, running, plyometric exercises, weights and several other things.

I have been training solidly for 28 years now. I learnt how to effectively defend myself 20 odd years ago. Has it been tested on the street? You bet! many times when I was young, ****y and arrogant.

So "for me", I would be happy pratising Kata for the rest of my life. I enjoy it and it certainly helps maintain and develop the skills I have accumulated in all this time. I am not looking for fast ways to develop street fighting skills as I had that sorted out years ago.

I would have to agree with some of you about Kata based on the performance of the teachers of some schools. It looks more like a golly wog dancing than a man practising fighting.

When I first saw my Sensei demonstrate Kata 28 years ago I was deeply impressed, I still am. It looks dynamic, you can really see the power he possesses. It certainly is formidable.

Then I turn to "Golly Wog Schools" and I think they ought to be hung for impersonating a Martial Artist LOL

Remember a good balance.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

picking up on another guys point,

i do run at the apponent, which noramlly results in me gettin smacked in the ribs, also i always wait for the oppenet to hit first

one general point

you will always find a better fighter in sparring match, it is always likely to be the attacker,

there always seems to be one attacker, and one defender, one aggresive, and one chicken,

you never find two guys going compeltely wu-tang at each other, you will find that one will back down eventaully since he will find that he cant take on his opponent, there always is a better fighter

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

• 5 months later...

I think my biggest mistake is my hangup with aesthetics.

Sometimes my sparring resembles a well thought out demo.

I'm not saying I want to fight like Joey Buttefuoco but it's like I'm worried about it being camera-worthy.

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I agree with Anon. I stick by my philosophy that kata is a great supplement for sparring, and a few other things that help you in sparring, like muscle memory, spped, accuracy, and combos. Unfortuantly, it does not always help you remember how NOT to get punched in the nose. Although, I also agree with angus in that, in order to fight, you need to fight.

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype