• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

common mistakes in sparring

Anon just because you can do kata means diddly in sparring. Sparring is all about timing and distance. If you have great technique and no sense of timing any person with better timing will squash you like a bug. If you throw a perfect side kick when your opponent is out of range what good does it do? however if you throw a flawed leg sweep just as the side kick is coming mr perfect technique is on his butt.

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, sparring is a whole different situation. Yes, excellent forms and technique will only help you in sparring, but it is probably only 25% of real-life fighting. That is why street brawlers can sometimes beat the crap out of 'trained' martial artists because these practitioners only practice form and technique all day (which is good but that's not all there is), whereas street fighters are punks who have been in many brawls and they are used to fighting in an unpredictable combat situation. Anonymous One, I am sure you have good fighting skills and are quite proficient in combat, but to say that excellent technique and proficience in katas/forms is a guarantee for good results in sparring or real-life fighting is not correct.

In sparring or real-life fighting, nothing is as clean or straight forward as step #4 of whatever form or kata/poomse/hyung, etc.. Timing, spacing, even psychology and learning how to read your opponent (both emotionally and physically) is essential. It is something that requires experience in order to improve. You cannot read about fighting in a book and become excellent even if you follow every word to the letter. It is an instinct, a sixth sense (for lack of better term) that must be developed only through time and experience. It's almost like learning how to play basketball and performing all the drills 1,000 times and shooting 1,000 times from the free throw line, but never playing in a team situation against another team.

It's a whole different ball game (pun intended) once you are on the court against five other players who are trying to keep you from scoring, even if you have a killer 3-point shot or you can dribble around cones with your eyes closed.

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

On 2002-02-27 18:21, Bruce__L wrote:

AnonymousOne, you are so wrong, kata and sparring is totally different, you don't go down in horse stances whilst sparring, and you have a realationship with your opponent; you've got to relate to him/her; close the gap and so on and so on and so forth.

I think you missed the point

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

My biggest mistake is weighing 220lbs and fighting like a 140lb-er.

I fight really controlled and flicky cos i always fight lower grades all the time, Do you know how hard it is to pull axe kicks and hook kicks and spinning kicks when your as heavy as me?

It's hard work. and the trouble is i get to a tournament dance around and fight really light and wonder why i'm dying after the first minute.

Bretty

I agree with Anon if you have good STRONG

kata (not just pretty dancing) you should do fairly well in a sparring situation. If you dont have GOOD basics you cant do either very well IMHO. The technique will just not work.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

If you have good strong kata and good or excellent basics, that may 'predispose' you to faring quite well in a sparring situation but if you have not had any or much experience in sparring or unpredictable real life situations, good strong kata alone and intense training in basics alone will not suffice in order to ultimately maximize your potential in sparring and/or practical application. :angel:

"Being able to move in and out of styles, movements, and rhythms with ease is the highest skill." - Donnie Yen

"If you have to resort to violence, you've already lost" - Rising Sun

"The finest steel emerges from the hottest furnace" - a smart guy

[ This Message was edited by: spinninggumby on 2002-02-28 10:40 ]

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

Anon, i don't think he missed the point - unless i missed it too. Was the point u were trying to make that if u practice your kata then your basics should be well defined and u will be able to apply them in sparring.

If so i will have to disagree... The only way to learn to fight is to fight. Taste the sweetness of your blood as it fills your mouth after being hit! Experience the joy of spitting it at your opponent!! Ooooohhh, i need a cold shower... :lol: :lol:

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.