• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

common mistakes in sparring

My most common mistake which I have started to sort out is the same as pizzaboys I back off way to far, I just dont notice that i'm doing it!

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably my worst mistake is i never keep my guard up and my head is always open. also i back up too far and i need to follow up my kicks with some punches.

My common mistake in sparring is withdrawing or backing up too much. My sensei tells me to either counter and punch, or step to the side but do not back up. He saids only do it as part of a strategic strategy. I do it alot. What is your mistake in sparring?

well if you back up, it could mean you are afraid of the opponent or you are nervous. therefore do not hesisitate and be confident, be positive e.t.c. throw techniques you are confident with and have practised hundreds of times.

• 4 weeks later...

My most common mistake while sparring is sparring itself! LOL

I just haven't done enough sparring to be any good at it and will probably never be really good at it.

That doesn't mean I don't like to spar every once in awhile!

Kuk Sool Won Jae Jah

Jah Ddi (Brown Belt)

My most common mistake with sparring is always getting stuck at work on the days that we do most of our sparring... :(

When I spar white/yellow/orange belts I tend to go easy and end up getting a fist in the face, or getting injured in some weird way. Keeps me expecting the unexpexted.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd have to say my biggest mistake is trying to rush an attack. Occasionally I just end up looking like I'm trying to charge my opponent, and if the person is experienced I usually end up get a good kick in the gut and flying through the air, then crashing back to the ground. :blush:

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

My common mistake is not counter attacking while a opponent has strucking and ive blocked and has me leaving with a open shot to the stomach or face . also my sweeping techniques are noticible so i hardly cant use them ..

:brow:

also with my ankle injury from sparring im scared that i might get it snapped again .. OH WELL .. I KEEP GOING TILL I FEEL IM THE BEST

I think that there is a huge difference between sparring and fighting. Sparring should be all about learning (eg learning testing and refining) fighting is all about teaching (ie showing everyone your skill).

With sparring most people spar too hard and don't realise that they should be learning and testing. In a "safe" sparring environment you should be able to test and experiment with out the fear of getting a beating.

If you don't care for sparring that is fine but if you are doing a martial art to defend yourself then you should test how much you know. How can you be a brown / black belt etc with out knowing how to fight? And how can you teach others how to fight?

Strive to be the best you can be