• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Kamikaze for skinny people?

Just trying to get an idea of the fit before I plunk down some dollars for a Kamikaze America or Monarch:

I'm 5'10'' tall and I weigh about 215 lbs. A size 5.5 Pro Force heavyweight fits great as does a size 6 Wacoku. I'm interested in trying Kamikaze and perhaps even a Tokaido. The Kamikaze size chart suggests I should buy a 6.5 or maybe even a 7, since I weigh a bit more than I should!

Can anyone who has actually worn a Kamikaze tell me if they run large or small?

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kamikaze's "Hiroshi Shirai" -line (America, Europe, Emperor, Monarch, Sovereign) are generally pretty roomy. I still recommend measuring the width of the back (from armpit to armpit) of your current, fitting do-gi and asking for a size that matches the measurement.

When it comes to Tokaido, they are generally rather "slim-cut", but there's a custom tailoring option, as well as a possibility to ask for a good size.

From more expensive do-gi, Shureido's "tournament cut" is a bit roomier than do-gi generally are.

You might want to check for Satori karatedo-gi for reasonably priced custom made uniforms. Their cut is also roomy and service is very good (if you mail them about the sizes, they'll mail you back very soon).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland