• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate losing respect?

Hart

I think karate is really effective in street fight. Not many people who are really good at karate fights in the street because they know if they'll fight, they can beat someone really hard. So they rather run away instead of fighting... And I don't think that someone could laugh only because you're practising karate. Practise it for more time and proove to everyone, that you're really good fighter

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice"

- Samurai maxim

"If you know the art of breathing you have the strength, wisdom and courage of ten tigers"

- Chinese adage

You can prevent your opponent from defeating you through defense, but you cannot defeat him without taking the offensive.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that people are blinded by thinking that UFC , Pride and so on is the prime peak of "usefull" martial arts. If they are so usefull why are there any rules at all ? Are there rules on the street ? Do you score points there ? I dont think so.

The UFC, Pride , K1 ... showings have undoubtetly made sports like muay thai, kick boxing , vale tudo and so on more popular. Usually a karate practiotioner or a boxer looses and then " boooo karate sux ".

But still they continue to bann certain styles due to the "safety issues involved " like for example i couldnt participate in any of theese events ( I would never even think of participating but still ) because i am a memeber of DKI ( dillman karate international ) which usage is banned from literally every such an event. Its 99% dedicated to real life situations and use. Let them put a master at ryukyu kempo karate in the ring with the yxyyyxy champion of the styles that are the "strongest" . I would love to see that fight :brow: :nod:

Kempo Arnis Slovenia - Training under sensei Borut Kincl begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting ( 6. DAN RKK, 1.DAN Modern arnis ... )

Blab of Buyseech - My blog for Martial Arts and Marketing

I think that people are blinded by thinking that UFC , Pride and so on is the prime peak of "usefull" martial arts. If they are so usefull why are there any rules at all ? Are there rules on the street ? Do you score points there ? I dont think so.

The UFC, Pride , K1 ... showings have undoubtetly made sports like muay thai, kick boxing , vale tudo and so on more popular. Usually a karate practiotioner or a boxer looses and then " boooo karate sux ".

But still they continue to bann certain styles due to the "safety issues involved " like for example i couldnt participate in any of theese events ( I would never even think of participating but still ) because i am a memeber of DKI ( dillman karate international ) which usage is banned from literally every such an event. Its 99% dedicated to real life situations and use. Let them put a master at ryukyu kempo karate in the ring with the yxyyyxy champion of the styles that are the "strongest" . I would love to see that fight :brow: :nod:

I agree wholeheartedly. I am a fan of UFC. I really haven't watched too much Pride or K1. But UFC/MMA has a purpose. It is to train people to fight in the ring, for several rounds or to achieve a submission.

It is a sport. UFC has evolved into something that was not originally. It was meant originally to put the fighters in as close to a real life fighting situation as possible and let them fight it out. But it has evolved into a sport with rules, weight classes, regulations placed on it by athletic commissions, etc...

Now, I would not mess with Chuck Lidell, Matt Hughes, Tito Ortiz, Randy Coture(sp?) or any physically fit, well trained MMA fighter. They would near kill me....badly.

UFC/MMA is not the be an and end all of martial arts. I also get perturbed by the overall lack of class I see. TMA's like Karate have done well in teaching respect for opponents and how to win with class. There are classy guys in MMA, like Chuck and Randy, but there are also those who give them a bad name (ie Ortiz, Bob Sapp, Tank Abbott etc...) and those people are far more common in MMA than Traditional arts.

Don't interpret this as a trash MMA rant. I am a fan. I enjoy the sport. But I also can appreciate the sports place in the greater scheme of the martial arts world. MMA has rekindled my interest in the martial arts, and led to my beginning to train in BJJ. I am indebted to the sport for that.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

Well I practise shidokan karate and it's useful in street fighting as we practise kicks with legs and knees to face. And we also practise how to fight in street too, not only in competitions.We know how to spare and win, that's the most immportant thing. Martial arts are really useful in street... As we know some places where to hit to win a fight. Even against few opponents. :karate:

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice"

- Samurai maxim

"If you know the art of breathing you have the strength, wisdom and courage of ten tigers"

- Chinese adage

You can prevent your opponent from defeating you through defense, but you cannot defeat him without taking the offensive.

Karate, like any martial art, teaches effective techniques for delivering powerful punches and kicks...I would assume most "street" fights involve individual who do not know each other...so any martial art trained person will have the element of surprise...especially if the attacker is larger and figures the victim to be an easy roll. Of course, how you react and if you can strike with deadly purpose is another thing. To say you are trained to gouge eyes does not mean you will. Courage cannot be taught....acting to save your life or a loved ones may be the trigger. Personally, I doubt most MMA could last very long in the ring with a real good professional boxer....wearing small mitts....I would think that a prime Holyfield or Tyson would end the match quickly. I could be wrong....I am not a devote of MMA...but that is my impression.

Karate, like any martial art, teaches effective techniques for delivering powerful punches and kicks...I would assume most "street" fights involve individual who do not know each other...so any martial art trained person will have the element of surprise...especially if the attacker is larger and figures the victim to be an easy roll. Of course, how you react and if you can strike with deadly purpose is another thing. To say you are trained to gouge eyes does not mean you will. Courage cannot be taught....acting to save your life or a loved ones may be the trigger. Personally, I doubt most MMA could last very long in the ring with a real good professional boxer....wearing small mitts....I would think that a prime Holyfield or Tyson would end the match quickly. I could be wrong....I am not a devote of MMA...but that is my impression.

But if the MMA fighter could defend sufficiently against the boxer, the boxer would lose. The boxer only has his boxing skills to rely on. The MMA fighter has boxing, kicking, plus take downs and submissions in their arsenal. If the fight did not end quickly or went to the ground, even in their prime, Tyson or Holyfield would be finished. An armbar will end a fight.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

Tyson would bite...... :lol:

I just think from a training perspective and level of fitness...most professional boxers are at the top....they can absorb blows that would fold most of us. Avoiding a smash from one is critical...if the MMA fighter can work on the boxers legs....and stay away...he may have a chance.

I think all Martial Arts in general are losing respect. I attribute this mainly to the McDojos/Black Belt Factories that are putting out "Black Belts" who can then brag and end up getting beat up or something. So people think Martial Arts don't work.

Examples: Last night, we had a festival thing on Main Street here in Newark. My dojo had a thing set up where some of the higher ranks demonstrated stuff. It was a mixture of flashy spin kicks and some pressure point stuff and some basic techniques. Most of the people there were fairly impressed. But up comes this big group of like 12 people. I have a word for them that I'm probably not allowed to post on here. But, you know, the fake gangster kids with the tent sized t-shirts and baggy pants who think they're tough. They were joking around and making fun of it because they think they could beat any Martial Artist. The thing that kept me from getting angry was knowing that Master John (the instructor leading the demonstrations) could easily handle all those punks at once.

Second, there's a group of us at school who are all into Martial Arts. There's also a group who claim to be into Martial Arts, but either are lying, or went to a McDojo for 2 years. The ones who fake it tend to be the ones who pick fights and get crushed, so the consensus becomes that Martial Artists can't hold their own. This makes our group look bad and draws a lot of insults and jokes our way.

The problem with traditional karate for self-defence is that a lot of the moves trained are not, and never will be, legal in competitions. Take shuto uke when used as a neck strike or a neck wrench. These techniques will not translate to a competition environment.

that is exactly right. people keep forgeting about the fine-line between sport martial arts & real martial arts. karate was in its original forms a fighting art. i know techniques that strike the throat, eyes, groin, etc., all of which are completely illegal in the UFC and any other MMA league.

with that being said, that's why those "high classed individuals" think that karate does not work. because they see it in a "controlled" environment, on tv, thinking that that's how it'd be out on the streets. of course, the streets, is not a controlled environment.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

that is exactly right. people keep forgeting about the fine-line between sport martial arts & real martial arts. karate was in its original forms a fighting art. i know techniques that strike the throat, eyes, groin, etc., all of which are completely illegal in the UFC and any other MMA league.

Sorry bud, in the early UFCs, strikes to the neck and groin were fully allowed. As for eye gauging, if that would benefit anyone, it would be skilled grapplers who manage to get a dominant position on the ground.

Watch Fred Ettish (6th Dan) fight in UFC 2 and see how well these super deadly techniques worked out.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate