• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate in Tennessee...

hajimekyu

I plan to be moving to Tennessee in early August.Going down the week of 6/13 to do some advance footwork.I am already fairly certain(and heartbroken)that the style I practice is not available there.So I will be looking for something similar.Two key points for me would be an art with an emphasis on close up techniques and strategies.And a relaxed class atmosphere is also important. I guess I'm posting this on the off chance that someone here may be familiar with the Monroe county area and could maybe suggest somewhere to start looking.I've done searches online but it's difficult because I know so little about other karate styles.Thanks for any help.

hajime~kyu

The more I think I know, the more I find I have to learn.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Look my sensei does private lessons now. Everyone thought his school died out. No he sold it... to invest in his new..more hardcore private lessons.

Anywas my point is that there could be private lessons you don't know about. I'd do the local check on google. GO to local under google, the rest is self explainitory.

Now if you can't find one. I am sure some one will know better than I do about your MA, but I am thinking there's atleast 2 similar...but don't hold me to it.

Needing to focus...

I don't know where Johnson City is in relation to Monroe County, but there's an instructor in Shorinkan Shorin Ryu there by the name of Gordon Shell. He also runs the Murasaki Kobudo weapons company (high-quality weapons shop started by Kyoshi Doug Perry). Shorin Ryu emphasizes close-range fighting.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

What part of TN? It's a pretty wide state, after all.

Right... that's why I included the location in my original post :lol:

I guess I'm posting this on the off chance that someone here may be familiar with the Monroe county area and could maybe suggest somewhere to start looking.

Monroe co is in the eastern part of the state near the NC line.I currently spend a few hours a week driving to classes in my area so if I need to drive a bit to get quality training in TN that's ok.

hajime~kyu

I don't know where Johnson City is in relation to Monroe County, but there's an instructor in Shorinkan Shorin Ryu there by the name of Gordon Shell. He also runs the Murasaki Kobudo weapons company (high-quality weapons shop started by Kyoshi Doug Perry). Shorin Ryu emphasizes close-range fighting.

Thanks...I'll look into that :)

hajime~kyu

Johnson City is Northeast Tennessee. It is very close to the Virginia border, close to Kingsport and Bristol. Those three cities are known as the tri-cities area and Bristol actually is in both Va and Tn.

Monroe County is southeast Tennessee, very close to me. I am in Bradley county. Monroe is the blackened spot on this map

http://www.monroegovernment.org/general_information.html

I would suggest looking for a school in Athens, Tennessee. There may be a couple and I expect that if you live in Monroe county, you will be very close to Athens.

In Athens and Cleveland, the Town where I live, there are Isshin Ryu schools. I don't know if that helps or not.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

I would suggest looking for a school in Athens, Tennessee. There may be a couple and I expect that if you live in Monroe county, you will be very close to Athens.

In Athens and Cleveland, the Town where I live, there are Isshin Ryu schools. I don't know if that helps or not.

Cool...thanks! It looks like Athens will be around 25 miles from me,and a search turned up some interesting stuff.I might even be able to visit a class when I go down there this month :)

hajime~kyu

i'll be opening up my first dojo in about mid-july in Jackson, madison county, in east tn. i'm about an hour & 30 mins. east of memphis. don't think you'll be within close proximity of my dojo, but, if you're ever venturing out in that part of the state wouldn't mind training with you. in my dojo we train in the kenpo karate arts along with aikido. just letting you know if you're interested.

kenpo_fighter

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

i'll be opening up my first dojo in about mid-july in Jackson, madison county, in east tn. i'm about an hour & 30 mins. east of memphis. don't think you'll be within close proximity of my dojo, but, if you're ever venturing out in that part of the state wouldn't mind training with you. in my dojo we train in the kenpo karate arts along with aikido. just letting you know if you're interested.

kenpo_fighter

Jackson looks to be about 330 miles from where I'll be.But you never know,if I'm in the area it'd be great to check it out.I'm still researching what style to try if mine is not available.One thing that concerns me is the idea of push ups and that sort of thing as a penalty for not learning fast enough.I have a poorly mended collarbone so even a few push ups are hard to manage.The style I practice now doesn't really do anything like that.We just learn at our own pace and try to improve on what we can do.

hajime~kyu