• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Harassment

Hart

I was just wondering if any karatekas here had to deal with harassment from schoolmates, co-workers, etc because they practice Karate. I'm a high school student and since beginning training, I've kept it a secret from most of the people at school--I don't want any trouble. Has anyone been in a similar predicament.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have all experienced that at least once, even from well-intentioned friends. I myself have never been taunted to fight* and I just just respond to the "hi-yah" comments with a smile.

8)

*with the exception of arrested suspects-after they've already had an "experience" and are in cuffs!

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Yes. I have a friend that use to think karate was a bunch of hooey. He’s about six foot tall and very strong. One day (when he’s giving me a hard time about training) he comes up to me and says “so karate man what would you do if I pushed you like this”? And he pushes me about five feet backwards. I told him that if that was all he had I didn’t need to do anything. He comes at me again to give me another shove and I offer up both of my wrists. He goes for it, grabs my wrists and says I’ve got you now. The next thing you know he’s on the ground winning like an eight year old that just fell off the swing. I did a joint lock on HIS wrist that really hurts and puts your opponent to the ground. After that he started to have more respect for what I do. I have used him for my Ginny pig so much that I made him a believer.

:D :D :D :D

More Practice

My general rule is I don't talk about martial arts in non-martial art settings unless someone asks. Since almost no one knows I do martial arts it rarely comes up. My close friends know better then to bring it up when we go out. When we aren't out and about though, the words "Hey come over here I want to try something out." have been known to cause panic. :)

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I just started up, but a few people at work to do the "get in karate position" and say "hi-yah" as mentioned above :) It's kind of funny. Other people at work have said "That's really cool!" I'd guess being male and in school would make it more difficult.

yeah some people will think its cool, but you'll have just as many morons. its annoying, but it could be because deep down they want to. people always tend to make fun or be cruel to things they don;t understand. i guess you just got to roll with punches. it used to get to me when i was younger, but now it just rolls off, but yeah i've heard sevral Hi-ya's...and the infamous karate chop. even had people do the danial-san crane. just keep training hard and carry your self with with that air of confidence and take the complements with the jabs. for the most part though, i don't bring it up in front of people I don't know well.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

i tend not to bring up karate easily either. when i have, there are two general responses - one is "wow, you must be a real bad-a$$" and the other is complete bewilderment.

most people who haven't practiced a truly individual sport like martial arts don't get it - they don't understand where the inspiration comes from or how you challenge yourself to become better, or how it's not about how good you are how fast, but the getting there that counts. our culture and especially high school sports are much more geared toward team play.

but it's best to be gracious to anyone who asks, even if they say something stupid or challenge you. the chances are good that what they REALLY are is curious, and they just don't know how to ask the right way.

Interestingly, I don't tend to tell many people that I train in karate in order to avoid any sort of harrassment. E.g., some nut coming up to me, demanding to see some moves, or worse, trying to attack me.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

like others have stated, i don't tell "normal people" that i study the arts, not out of fear of harrassment, but of the inablity to put up with some moron's antics. just play like "superman" or "spiderman". you are a true warrior, never reveal your true identity until there is no other option.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

Letting people in on it is either the worst or the best thing. It either hurts you or helps you. For me it helped me. Last year I got picked on, that was the main reason I joined. Then I realised I loved it and got good. The only other martial artists at my school are feared. One's taken down his 2nd dan sensei. And the other's been a blackbelt for two years and wins many local tournements. So the fact my secret was let out acctually helped me there. The only person who asks me to show them moves likes being thrown around, so before science you usually see him in a corner XD. Luckily no one ever noticed our quick sparing sessions XD.

It depends on your situation for most people. Keep low key.

Hope I helped!

Oh and if you can't handle some huge dude trying to beat your face in, well it's not a good idea to let the secret out.XD

Needing to focus...