• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a "different" kind of punch...

Skeptic 2004

Sounds good! I am very interested to see if you get the same results and if not why.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So I tried Sauzin's test, and the results were inconclusive. I had the same amount of strength/stability in either position. This actually raises an interesting question about the issue of the flared chest. Now, I might actually have a physical bias; that is, I've been training flared chest since November, so my muscles might be conditioned to provide the necessary strength and stability to pass Sauzin's test. Or, maybe I just did the test wrong (though I'm pretty sure I followed what he said to the letter). Anyone else practice flared chest? Anyone else with any other thoughts?

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

I have to do more research. I've heard some instructors in Shorinkan talk about having a sort of "aristocratic" or "noble" posture at times which seems to be what you are describing. It would make sense, since they are both methods descended from Chibana. It also rang similar to some things I heard during my brief iaido stint as well. Will let you know in the weeks to come...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Inconclusive huh? Well thanks for giving it a try. There are a few possibilities that come to mind as to why that might have happened. It may be possible that you aren’t flaring your chest much. It may also be that you have trained your muscles to overcompensate as you suggested. It may also be that there is some other weakness in your structure that is playing the part of “the weakest link” and thus negating both positions. Or perhaps I’m wrong. Who knows? Either way thanks for running through the test.

Perhaps I can pose a more analytical perspective. I mean if you pull your shoulder back the weight of the arm shifts back and is behind your hara. Likewise the shoulder socket and musculature is stretched further from its base when it is pulled back. This has the same effect as any other body part that is moved away from its base. It becomes weaker. Perhaps the most relevant point is with what happens to the chest musculature when it is flared. It naturally tenses. This makes for a more constrained launch of the punch. The chest muscles can only produce full power when they start from a relaxed position. As a secondary effect the tension produced from a flared chest also stretches the musculature away from the lower ribs, making them more vulnerable. My experience has been that it doesn’t do good things for protecting the shoulders either. Perhaps with conditioning this can be overcome.

I spoke to my sensei about this last week and his comment was that as long as the shoulders are down it will work so maybe I am overanalyzing this or making a mountain out of the effects of an anthill. Either way, thanks for the chance to get another perspective.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.