• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New guy here, questions.

Hey y'all, how are you? New guy here. I am thinking of getting into martial arts and have a few questions. I have a little experience in MA but nothing to brag about. A little Tae Kwon Doe about 15 years ago.

1st my background. I'm 33 years old and physically have a few problems. My biggest problem is my shoulder. It has a bad habit of dislocating. I've had 4 surgeries and am recovering from my last one. Hopefully it will last. I also have some problems with my back and ankle. Neither of these is a huge problem but I'm sure a lot of jumping and kicking wouldn't help them much.

Anyway, as I'm getting older my confidence in being able to defend myself and my family has decreased, especially with my shoulder problems. I have thought about martial arts for years but was never settled enough in my life to commit to it. Luckily I've grown up now and think I'm ready. :wink:

So now my question, which martial art would you recommend I take? I understand the difference between "soft" and "hard" martial arts and my conclusion is the soft ones would be better on my shoulder but I may be wrong here. Me being wrong happens a lot. :P I don't live in a huge city(Near Springfield Mo) so my options are limited to the more popular martial arts. Karate, Judo, Tae Kwon Doe, Aikido, Hopkido, etc. Of these I was thinking Hopkido. The only reason for Hopkido over Aikido is I have a couple relatives that are Korean and might know a bit.

So what do you think? Would Hopkido be a good choice? Something else? I appreciate your time and comments.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My concern would be your shoulder so I would steer clear of arts with a lot of joint locks & throws (ju Jitsu, aikido, hapkido, etc.) however.....there are ways to train around your inuries and you might be able to find a school that will help you do this regardless of style. I would find a few schools you are interested in, watch some classes, and talk to the head instructor about your situation. Good luck!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

My concern would be your shoulder so I would steer clear of arts with a lot of joint locks & throws (ju Jitsu, aikido, hapkido, etc.) however.....there are ways to train around your inuries and you might be able to find a school that will help you do this regardless of style. I would find a few schools you are interested in, watch some classes, and talk to the head instructor about your situation. Good luck!

8)

ninjanurse makes some great points. The Instructor is usually more important than the style. You should attend a class, either as a spectator or participant, from each dojo in the area. You might want to ask around too, sometimes there are people teaching that don't do a lot of advertising. You might find the perfect style/Instructor/class in a garage somewhere.

If you find a class(es) that you are intersted in, meet with the Instructor and maybe some of the students. Find out what they're all about.

I've never had problems with my shoulder, but from what I hear, sometimes Martial Arts can help in the healing process. It can usually be worked around; just tell the Instructor of all medical conditions before your first class.

Let us know what you decide.

You could try some health Tai Chi untill you feel up to it and then get into the fighting aspects of it.

Hand to hand, heart to heart

If you don't come, i will not start

But if you start, i will arive first

And hit you continuiously untill i see red.

You could try some health Tai Chi untill you feel up to it and then get into the fighting aspects of it.
I doubt I will find that where I live but I will check.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I didn't think that Hapkido would be as hard on my shoulder as Karate but I'm glad you guys told me. There is one here in my little town that teaches Youn Wha Ryu. I called the instructor and he says they have other people with chronic health problems that are training. He says there are even a couple of black belts. I may go check this out. It's certainly close to home and isn't too terribly expensive.

Thanks guys, more suggestions are welcomed though. It will be at least a month before I can do anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion of Youn Wha Ryu?

From what I have read it is kind of a mixture between various martial arts. I have heard conflicting reports on how mixing different arts can be but I'm not interested in becoming the ultimate fighter. I just want to be able to defend me and my own. Thanks again for your help.

I am a Red Belt in Youn Wha Ryu. Many people consider that arts that claim to be made up of many different arts should be avoided as they are not true martial arts. The truth is that Grandmaster Han has over 60 years experience in many different martial arts styles and has extensively developed the Youn Wha Ryu system to what it is today. Parts of it may look like hapkido, judo, kung fu or jiu-jitsu but it is Youn Wha Ryu plain and simple. It has taken Grandmaster Han a lifetime to develop and perfect this system so that anyone and everyone may participate.

I know some instructors in the Youn Wha system there in the Southern part of Missouri, I was just in Springfield last month, because the Southern Missouri division of Youn Wha Ryu had their 4th annual tournament. There are some really good instructors over there in that area. The instructors in Youn Wha Ryu, will work with you, if you can't do jump kicks, that won't make you do jump kicks. They are some great people. I would really recommend the Youn Wha Ryu system to you, in your situation! Go check it out, and see if you like it. GOOD LUCK!! I wish you the best! Keep us updated!

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

Thanks younwhagrl, I live in Ozark(about 10 miles South of Springfield) and I have talked to the instructor here a time or 2 on the phone. He seems like a great fellow and his price per month is very fair. I don't recall his name but I'll look for it. Maybe you know him.

Is his name Zach Shaw? That's the only one I know of that teaches in Ozark. If so, he is a REALLY good instructor and a really nice guy! :)

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

Choose whichever style you want, but if you've got an injured shoulder, rather than avoid using it and nursing it through whatever you do, you're better off working it out and rehabing it with weights and strengthening exercises.