• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learn Kata from a video?

Samurai Shotokan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i say learning kata from a video would be good to do to get your pattern, but you shouldnt completely rely on a video. ask for help from your sensei and have him review it to make sure you got in right. i learned learned hangestu from a video and diagram recently and my brother, (with some difficulty) managed to learn it properly with alot of internet study, and demo it for a large group and a 5th dan sensei in the same art. he had only one or two flaws to point out (returning blocks were shuto instead of closed), but the amazing thing was that he was only a yellow belt. a belt is no indication of skill its an acknowledgement of being exposed to techniques.if a karate rank really meant skill, you would have to retest regularly as well as taking your initial test.anyway, i say it saves quite a bit of time in the dojo,but nothing beats having time in class to make it sharper.

"Karate is an art. It must be regarded as such with its entirety of philosophical thought and development of the mind in harmony with the body. If it isn't thought of this way it is valueless. It is like eating only the bitter skin of the apple while leaving the sweet inner meat untasted. It is this crucial premise that is being overlooked today, and if the tide is not turned, I must predict the demise of the art. "

-Isao Obata

• 2 weeks later...

But should you try to learn a kata that your dojo doesnt teach? but nothing beats having a teacher.Like me i want to learn a kata called Yantsu but my dojo doesnt teach it

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

i agree with G95. i would thinki a higher ranking student would be better than doing this than a beginner. also, some of the katas like the Passai's and Kusanku's build on each other. so i think a video could be beneficial.

you could always learn the pattern and tweak it later.

a live person is till always the best bet, but I think a video can be useful. also as astudy guide. another good thing to do is to tape yourself doing the katas. tehn watch the tape of of yourself and compare it to the instructor on the video. this si where you can learn some of the subelt things that may need fixing

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

I have purchased several VCDs (like DVD's but crappier) from China to get ideas for Chin Na techniques and for giving me good ideas for basics (when teaching, to keep it fresh). The latest drills I have been running are from a Shaolin fight set I found on a Chinese DVD (no idea what they are saying, but I can pick up the movements). I take what I like and use that to help teach my students.

Fu sheng wu lian tianzun

2nd Dan - Shaolin Kempo

Drunken Master's Classic Kung Fu Theater | DojoZen.com

I've learned a few forms from video, even one from a book. The thing about it is, like others have said, don't fully rely on that knowledge. Seek improvement from your Instructor. John Chung has a wonderful series of forms - chun ji set. I bought all of the Black Belt forms and most of the underbelts. He does a great job of explaining and showing from different angles. I also used Larry Tatum's video as a supplement to learn Long Form 6 as my Instructor thought it would be more beneficial for me to learn it on my own then have him critique it, thataway we could have more time in our private lessons. I also learned a Korean translation of Bassai Dai from a book.

This shouldn't be attempted until the student has a grasp on the basics and understands the pattern of forms. Then it should be critiqued.

I'd like to learn my kata's from a video called inspirational karate by ronnie christopher and sean roberts which is available to buy (via my sensei)from a catolugue called Bushido martial arts wear, but the video is so expensive, £19.95 for a 74 minutes video... why so expensive?.

So I useally learn from books instead, which takes me a bit longer though.