• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learn Kata from a video?

Samurai Shotokan

For arguement sake what would you learn if tried to learn a kata from a video?

would you just be "fist dancing" or would you just learn a pattern

PS sorry for bumping this but i didnt want to make another topic and this fits it well i think

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I thought this topic deserved it's own thread. Here is another related thread for your reading pleasure.

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=19656&highlight=learning+video

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Hajime Kyu wrote:

Samurai Shotokan wrote:

For arguement sake what would you learn if tried to learn a kata from a video?

would you just be "fist dancing" or would you just learn a pattern

PS sorry for bumping this but i didnt want to make another topic and this fits it well i think

For myself,the videos for my style are a very useful study guide.When I have stuck points,I can work through them by going through the difficult part over and over as needed. In the ones I have, the kata is broken down into it's various components and several hand to hand applications are demonstrated with a number of opponents.They are very thorough, showing each kata done slowly, medium speed and full force.I love how they demonstrate what happens if your strike or kick should miss.Following through with the snap back can have some very useful results

However,and this is important,on each video it is made very clear that they are not meant to take the place our senseis or our regular class time.Rather,they are for additional study and even raise questions that we can take back to class.So...I could learn the pattern and get an idea of the applications.But I couldn't hope to have a full understanding of how it all works without hands on practice with others.

hajime~kyu

The more I think I know, the more I find I have to learn.

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I learn dan grade Kata's as a Kyu grade back in the 1970's from books.

Got them pretty right apart from a few minor points

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

For myself,the videos for my style are a very useful study guide.When I have stuck points,I can work through them by going through the difficult part over and over as needed. In the ones I have, the kata is broken down into it's various components and several hand to hand applications are demonstrated with a number of opponents.They are very thorough, showing each kata done slowly, medium speed and full force.I love how they demonstrate what happens if your strike or kick should miss.Following through with the snap back can have some very useful results.

For which style, Heidi? I'd like to see those videos (for the applications, that is).

Anyways, I agree that a video can be a good learning aide. I have learned forms from videos, and 9 times out of 10, they weren't right (I was close, but not totally right). From watching the video, you can't really see the "finer" details of the form. And I have missed a few ;)

But if I learn a form from my instructor first, then use the video for reference, it worked out ok. Just my experience with it.

Laurie F

Because my teacher is in another state now I have learned several of my black belt kata from tape and book. I think the higher in rank you are the better you are at doing this. I would not recomend it for any beginner but once you have a general understanding I think its possible. However its not the best way.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

For myself,the videos for my style are a very useful study guide.When I have stuck points,I can work through them by going through the difficult part over and over as needed. In the ones I have, the kata is broken down into it's various components and several hand to hand applications are demonstrated with a number of opponents.They are very thorough, showing each kata done slowly, medium speed and full force.I love how they demonstrate what happens if your strike or kick should miss.Following through with the snap back can have some very useful results.

For which style, Heidi? I'd like to see those videos (for the applications, that is).

Actually that was me talking about the videos but you have to read it carefully to see that, on account of the posts having been moved.The videos I mentioned are from Sanchin Ryu karate and were put together by several masters and chief instructors under the direct guidance of our grand master.He also participates in some of the demonstrations.They were made quite a few years ago and it is always fun to go to workshops and train with people that you "know" from the videos :lol:

hajime~kyu

The more I think I know, the more I find I have to learn.