• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's After Black Belt?

parkerlineage

Enough people have replied with their trademark or opinion on such that it's not important for me to do so. I'm going to talk about something I really know about.

is there a certain amount of time you have to wait before you go up a degree of black belt, or is it just based on skill level?

On average, there is a wait period of approximately three years between black belt. You will almost never see less; but you will more than likely see more.

When it comes to requirements, then you enter an area similarly colored to Delta1's belt and gi. The only requirements for 2nd black are Long Form 5 and Long Form 6. After that, it's all political...do you have a lot of students...do you look good...have you been training for a long time...do you have a cute kitten...the list goes on and on.

My favorite quote: "Colors show, but not what you know."*

My own personal mantra: "Black is black. The stripes are just extra."*

can you tell me some of the things I may start learning when I reach black belt?

Long Form 5, Long Form 6, and the techniques thereof. Long Form 5 is the "Throw Kata". In it, you must do the techniques as though they are unexpected, as they come from obscure angles. Long Form 6 is the "Weapons Kata." In it, you will adapt some earlier techniques to fight against clubs or knives, as well as learn a good deal of the "Rod" techniques (Just as "Storm" signifies a club, and "Lance" a knife, "Rod" is a gun).

There are book-version extensions to all the previous techniques, but I will quote my instructor again.

"Don't ask me for the extensions. You have your black belt - make ones that work for you!"*

Book versions are great, and I reccomend learning them, but the black belt is just the beginning - play with the system, mold it to yourself!

Peace;

Parkerlineage

*Professor Scott Halsey

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Black Belt you really start learing karate.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Black belt ... Shodan ... is the equivalent of mastering how to hold a dummy in your mouth.

You are still a babe, with a long road to hoe

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

In my opinion, earning a black belt means that a person has a strong foundation in basics of his or her martial art.

It's in no means an end, but a new beginning.

I will also echo what Fu Man has stated.

In most cases, becoming a yudansha means that one has achieved a certain level of excellence when it comes to performing the basic fundamental techniques. While a mudansha can certainly perform at the same level, or even better, there is still no guarantee that any given mudansha would be able to perform at the level expected of a yudansha. By having such standards in place, the doubt that someone can perform the basics to a sufficiently level of proficiency is significantly reduced.

By achieving this level of excellence, the yudansha has shown that he is ready to take on more advanced techniques and training. After all, advanced techniques are derived from the basic techniques, and trying to train the advanced techniques to one who doesn't have good basic techniques would be a fruitless endeavor, indeed. One cannot build a house upon a sand foundation (bad basics). He needs a concrete foundation (good basics) to build the house of his dreams.

At my school Black Belts test every 6 months for intermediate & advanced ranks until 3rd dan when they test once a year. There is not a lot of new curriculm so the expectation is that you work on "perfecting" your technique.

We learn the WTF forms for each dan level plus chinese forms as we are a blend of TKD and Kung Fu.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

At my school Black Belts test every 6 months for intermediate & advanced ranks until 3rd dan when they test once a year. There is not a lot of new curriculm so the expectation is that you work on "perfecting" your technique.

We learn the WTF forms for each dan level plus chinese forms as we are a blend of TKD and Kung Fu.

8)

really? what type of kung fu do you do?

and yes, i agree with what you said, black belt and beyond is perfecting technique, and making the style your own. i would advise exploring other MAs to help on this journey.....

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.

Shaolin Chuen-northern style.

And I agree with you about exploring other arts at this level. My theory is that after Black Belt the styles blend into one. It is only the journey from the bottom of the mountain that is different-each path unique.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/