• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Low cost GI

I have taking Karate for about 4 months now and have to wash my gi after every training,I am looking to buy another any suggestions on a good gi below 50.00 made in U.S. or Japan?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you're already fully grown, and are serious about your training, I would suggest doing it right this time around, and getting a better gi. While it's going to cost significantly more than a lightweight student uniform, the fact remains that it will be more durable, and give you more comfort.

Some uniforms you may want to consider that are reasonably priced:

http://www.kamikazekaiten.com/shop/category.asp?catid=2

Kamikaze Spirit: About 55-65 bucks, 10 oz cotton canvas. Good all-around uniform, decent durability and comfort. I generally suggest this for the folks who are serious about training, but don't want a heavyweight uniform.

Kamikaze America: About 90 bucks, 14 oz cotton canvas. Very durable, and after a few washes, comfortable.

Kamikaze Europa: About 100-110 bucks, 12 oz brushed cotton. Very comfortable, and cut a bit wider than traditional cuts. This is the uniform that I prefer during the hot summers when that air conditioning might not be cooling things down enough, or on warm days when we don't use the AC.

As for the more expensive models, I'd hold off on those for a bit.

Any of the above is going to be better than your average 50 dollar uniform, and would easily last twice as long as most such uniforms, as long as you follow the laundering instructions correctly.

My only regret about not going with a better uniform from the start, was having wasted a good bit of $$$ on buying cheap uniforms, in hopes that I could find a nice bang / buck deal, but instead, I ended up with a small pile of uniforms that either ripped too easily, would feel clammy (stick to the skin after a wee bit of perspiration), or just wouldn't feel right. I should have listened to sensei instead of experimenting!

The only somewhat decent cheap uniform I bought was a 12 oz one made by ProForce. While it was OK, and lasted me for 7 years, it still wasn't as good as even the Kamikaze Spirit. By today's prices, they're really not any cheaper than the Spirit.

Now, I know that there are some folks that will swear up and down that nothing is as good as a Shureido uniform, and I don't necessarily disagree; it's just that you might not quite be at the point where a 200 dollar gi is worth it.

I replied to 3DFIGHTER's PM, regarding JUKA uniforms, but I'll also post it here, since it could come in handy.

Toru Shimoji did an abstract review on various uniforms, and has stated that the Kamikaze Europa (that I favor) is supposed to be pretty much the same uniform as the JUKA Bronze, which is usually a slight bit cheaper in price.

http://www.dallas.net/~jka/docs/Gi_Review.html

I would slightly disagree with his evaluation, in that the JUKA Bronze is listed as using 10-11 oz brushed cotton canvas, whereas the Kamikaze Europa is closer to 12 oz brushed cotton canvas. Still, though, if you're looking at a middle-heavyweight uniform, the JUKA Bronze would do just fine, and be quite comfortable.

Just about any heavyweight gi will be better than the typical 'starter' gi. I find heavyweights absorb sweat better so the cloth does not cling to you, so you actually stay cooler despite the thicker fabric.

The 14 oz Wacoku made in Taiwan has a street price of about $65 US and is a decent performer. At that price, you can buy two for your gi rotation and still come out ahead versus a premium Japanese brand like Tokaido or Hirota.

I don't think the Kamikaze line is made in the US, although I have heard good things about their performance.

I was surfin' the other day looking for Kamikazi uniforms, and came across their USA site. However, I just tried to link it, and the link was broken. Maybe a regular google search will get you to the site :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Thanks for all the advice, the more the better the dojo sells Juka but sometimes I like to be different .Does anybody have elastic waistband ? If so how do you like is verses the string ?

I like the traditional string waistband. It'll stay as it once has been put and won't loosen nor travel up after getting moist. It also won't lose its elasticity via the time.

Still, there are supporters for both, and if elastic is good for you, it is good.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland