• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD effectiveness

There seems to be a lot of disregard for TKD's street effectiveness, both on this board as well as what I've heard from talking to individuals. I consider this very understandable for the art (as well as for most kata-oriented arts) based on its nature.

But, to say the least, not all TKD schools are ineffective. Although the following are not "end-all" arguments for TKD, they're just some things to think about.

A friend of mine is a big guy, a ferocious "street-fighter". He knows about neighborhood-baseball-bat-fights, etc, and is an accomplished boxer (from what I understand). Yet he considers his small amount of TKD training to be valuable. He had only trained in it for a little while, yet he had a good deal of respect for it. He claims his daughter( a small woman) defeated 2 other women with it. Most of what this guy says is reliable.

I read the book by Bernie Kerick, the Police Commissioner of NYC. He, of course, grew up in a tough New Jersey city and got into over a hundred fights before he was 18 (according to his book). He finally reached a level where the fights became rare: to what does he attribute his new success? TKD.

I myself have only sparred with TKD people a few times, so I'm just throwing a few second-hand accounts out there. I'm not trying to say that all, or even most, TKD dojos are highly practical-I honestly don't think they are. But these accounts make me step back and take another look at least. Any knowledgable opinions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive talked to a few ppl and to them taekwondo was actually useful in some situations. i heard ITF is much helpful on the "street" then WTF

Lots of people say that they have done a martial art in their youth and that it was effective for them , just to show off . Some of them might be expert in Tai bo :lol: . I personally think that sports Taekwondo is useless in the street , however ITF might be effective if well used

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I have a feind 3rd dagree in tkd.About 3 weeks ago i watched his have to try too defind himself agenst a drunk.I didnt even bother too see if he was going to be ok.I figured 3rd dagree hell be ok.Next thing i new he was looking up froum his back.So no i dont think its usefull at all.When my friend whent back into a fightng stance he got hit in the mouth and went down.Froum a drunk.

As always - its down to how you train, and the studnet them selves....

ITF tkd i would agree is more disposed to self defense [but then again im an ITF student and therefore probably SLIGHTLY biased :D]

So long as you look at what you learn realistically and think about application of technique rather than just the technique it self.... i.e. a 540 jumping reverse turning kick is USELESS for self defense, but the practice involved in it increas your explosive power in your legs... so the move may not help but the training does...

I would say TKD cna help so long as you approach it in the right way - and as with any MA it cannot be decided by single experiences as in "this book about a guy i read" or "my friend who does [insert MA here] got beat up" or "i beat some instructor somewhere at his own club in his rules".....

They rae usually single incidents, anyway im not saying TKD will make u an invincible fighting maching capable of taking on 3 UFC fighters at the same time nad come out barely breaking a sweat, but like any MA it does help with the basic principles and give you the tools you need to defend yourself.

you have to remember something, its a "street fight" anything goes! I know of a few guy who told me they have used there tkd skills on people. example- I guy I know was getting picked on an all he did was step back the other guy pulled back his fist and he came at him he side stepped and and reverse punch to the face, then he back leg side kicked him , injury to the bully- two broken ribs. if your fast enought on your feet you can do it!!

andrew

"Who Dares, Wins"

I have known people that I trained with that have used Tae Kwon Do successfully in self defense, some against weapons. We are WTF, but train in traditional style, emphasizing basics and power. It goes back to how you practice, not necessarily what organization you follow. If you train to win tournaments, good luck. You will be a good athlete, but will lose many of the attributes that will help you with self defense.

Queen Padme: "So this is how Democracy dies-with thunderous applause."

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"

Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"

As a few have mentioned it depends on the school, how you are taught to use the techniques and most importantly in my mind, the actual ability of the student. A couple of the guys in my school helped put themselves through college as bouncers and they did use their skills learned in TKD (though not much kicking) and were effective. I know my instructor did the same thing in college and I have heard from other sources that one guy in particular was sent to the hospital w/ jaw broken on one side, shattered on the other and most his teeth missing. One punch, taken from the very first one step technique we teach our white belts. So basically, if you have the technique down, which take years, and produce the power TKD can be as effective as any other MA out there. After all, there is no superior style, only superior practitioners.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

As with any style there are other elements that make up our training that are native to and that have been "borrowed" from other systems and that can be used effectively as self-defense...we share a common history of sorts. For example, a side kick is a side kick and a punch is a punch. I agree with the sentiment that it is not about the art itself but about the artist. In addition, not all martial artists train for self-defense either, some train strictly for the -do...and this is not unique to any one style.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/