• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forms and/or katas?

hajimekyu

I have been studying Sanchin Ryu for almost two years.I know only a very little about other styles of karate,but I am curious about some things.I am wondering about the forms and kata in other karate styles.

In my style we have basics,then combined basics advanced(CBAs),then forms,and finally katas.Each leads into what follows.For example,the last basic is a double strike,the CBAs start with a double strike and progress to more complex techniques which lead to forms.The forms increase in complexity,each leading into the next, and become the foundation of kata.The last form is a combination from the previous forms.It's sometimes referred to as the form of beginnings and endings.The first kata we learn is known as "kata called form" which puts all of the forms together in sequence.More advanced katas are usually not learned until the upper belt levels.At purple belt level I am familiar with all of the forms and am working on kata called form,but I am learning only a little of the more advanced katas.Is that more or less the usual progression?

I guess what got me wondering was a reference I saw here to the kata learned as a white belt.For us,white belt is the very beginning and people at that level are working on basics,CBAs and maybe the first form is beginning to be grasped.Kata comes much later.So is the word kata sometimes used interchangeably with the word form in some styles or are they different?

Thanks,

hajime~kyu

The more I think I know, the more I find I have to learn.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think the word is used intechangeably by most. Koreans call it poomse but it is still what I would call "kata"-a prearranged set of techniques that build upon the last. Take the palgwe set of forms (TKD) for example: The first one is a single technique followed by a single technique and so on; the second introduces a basic combination (front kick-punch); the third introduces changing directions; the fourth transition from one stance to another; etc. Each builds upon the basic skills learned at each gup until all the elements are contained in the last one. The taegueks, heians, pinans, etc. all seem to be structured similarly.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Yes. The word for "form" in Japanese is kata. It's my opinion (I haven't really asked around or anything) that they chose this word (and it's chinese character) with the meaning closer to the form of the body (i.e. the exact shape it takes) as kata is a study of biomechanics and timing. I hesitate to use the explanation "a set of techniques" because that is really missing the point of kata.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the great answers.I'm really enjoying learning more about karate and about martial arts as a whole.

hajime~kyu

The more I think I know, the more I find I have to learn.

In Shotokan...at least at my school...we start with a white belt and learn Kihon...basics and then start on the first Kata..this varies from school to school..but I learned Taikyoko Shodan...(combinations of downward blocks and lunge punches while moving...for an Orange belt. Today, I belt tested Heian Shodan (downward, upward, knifehand blocks, lunge punch, back-stance etc.) and received a Yellow belt. Again, we are tested on basics then the form. Each belt incorporates a similar structure.

I do shotokan as well and we teach at least one new kata for each belt.

I do know of one school close to my area that teaches the way you are talking about. They do a set of moves that they call (move sets) Then after they learn several move sets they put them all together and preform it as a kata.

For us Shotokan guys it would be like doing down block lunge punch, turn down block, escape, lunge punch and then on the next belt test add the middle sequence for Heian Shodan.

Personally Im not a fan of doing move sets but I did not train that way so I guess I am closed minded. However I can see the advantages. 1. Focus on SD over memorized moves 2. Helps young kids learn because its shorter. 3. Some people teach to fast and IMO slower is better.

There are many differant ways to train and we each must find what works best for us.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

what you call CBAs I believe my school and others call one steps (ipon-kumite). also when doing kihon we use techniques that are common in the katas (geidan barei-->gyaku zuki for example).

as a white belt my learning process was

stances--->basic techniques---->kihon/ipon kumite---->full kata.

although most of my kata I have learned a little in class, but mostly by staying after class when sensei's willing to give their own time for free have agreed to teach/critique my katas. man i love my school. osu

"What if your enemy is three inches in front of you, what do you do then? Curl into a ball? Or do you put your fist through him!?"

"It's the wood that should fear your hand, not the other way around. No wonder you can't do it, you acquiesce to defeat before you even begin!"

-Pei Mei

• 3 weeks later...