• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

^I plan to.

Flips have their time and place - wushu forms and gymnastics. Not on the street.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I want to kick a tall guy in the head, I'll kick him in the gut first. Then when he's doubled over I'll kick him in the head. Acrobatic moves are only good when used in suprise or when the opponent is stunned and even then, there are better things to do. It does take some serious talent to do that stuff though. :)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 2 weeks later...

humbly i would submit that, at least in the martial arts that i have practiced, a man depends on the earth for his strength. lowering your center is key. raising your center (as in a flip) may allow your opponent the unexpected advantage of physics and geometry. Also, remember that everything that goes up usually comes down; fighting on the street or other slippery surfaces may give unanticipated results in reality.

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog

• 2 weeks later...
humbly i would submit that, at least in the martial arts that i have practiced, a man depends on the earth for his strength. lowering your center is key. raising your center (as in a flip) may allow your opponent the unexpected advantage of physics and geometry. Also, remember that everything that goes up usually comes down; fighting on the street or other slippery surfaces may give unanticipated results in reality.

Exactly! Any technique that takes both of your feet off the ground inevitably will make any technique that your attempting, or following up with off balance, and weaker. Once again, there is far too much that can go wrong with an aerial technique to make it worth attempting in kumite or a real fight.

Heck, the only time I even use spinning technique's is when I'm trying to back an opponent off, and only when I know I have enough distance to match my speed of getting all the way around before he gets to me. I rarely ever make contact with a spinning technique, because I'm rarely ever trying to.

Its wasted energy doing flashy techniques, unless your a movie star :wink: .