• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flips? Not likely to be useful in a street fight. I can't see any use in them aside from looking cool. Although, one of my instructors from a previous dojo I attended did say he was able to perform a flip over a tall obstacle (couldn't remember what it was) when running from a big dog. Otherwise, stick to the ground in fights, and you'll be fine.

Tumbling? Sure, if you know how to apply it. I know plenty of ways to turn a tumble into an attack. If it isn't part of your art and standard tactics, probably not so handy. Most people this is not part of your art.

Aerials? No. Touch someone in the air in a way other than they expect and they drop crashing to the floor, often injuring themself. I have yet to hear a convincing reason why one would do it.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

fliping in a fight?

try it while sparring against one of your friends. you'll notice that it takes alot more energy out of you then just simply moving into a diffrent position

heres another thing, depending on the flip you do you lose site of your opponent just for a little bit. if he moved in a diffrent area while your flipping around he can catch you of guard.

ohh and i should mention that if you do a flip in a fight you can injure yourself if you do the flip wrong.

i say its a major hazard unless someone can prove me otherwise

"In battle, confrontation is done directly, victory is gained by surprise"

- Master Sun

I do flip-like movements, I don't lose sight of my target, I can usually put a good kick or two into it which are, and I end in places I couldn't as easily have reached on foot. I'm used to having people kick at me when I do them. Mind you, modern handsprings are a no-go because I have to be able to stop the movement in between starting it and committing my weight to my hands; full modern flips are an aerial and aerials are suicide.

I only said "depending on the flip you do"

by the way. you know any good capoeira dojos in vegas? i'm thinking of doing that type fighting style.

It looks enlightening

"In battle, confrontation is done directly, victory is gained by surprise"

- Master Sun

None in my art that i've heard of. Probably there's one in some style of Capoeira, but i'm not aware of them. (Capoeira, as a term, isn't any more descriptive than a term such as Jujutsu, Karate, or the like. There's what amounts to ryus and such divided all over the place.)