• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with the large font?

I haven't used taiji in "a real fight," mainly because I haven't been in a real fight since I started taking it (luckily). Would I use it? Yes. If not, does taiji still give me tons of other benefits? More emphatic yes.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

I don't, but I once took Yang Taiji lessons, and some of the students of that class had been in an altercation. Apparently also there was once an altercation in front of the class when it was taught in the open, and the teacher defused it physically. In all the cases I heard, they just popped out a movement or two from the form in relaxed manner and either pushed or unbalanced the attacker, which was all that was needed in those cases, as most attackers flee if they encounter a coordinated resistance and these were no exception.

As an aside, while moving classes outdoors in summer can help stem the flow of students dissapearing, it's important to be up on self defense 'drunk uncle' techniques before doing so.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Tai ji is divided into several styles in China. The style you pracitse now maybe for the body training. There IS taiji style for real fight, but im afraid you cant even see it or touch it coz the instructor wont teach you unless he wants to be killed or this style cant be continoued.

Time would crush all pains.

Tai ji is divided into several styles in China. The style you pracitse now maybe for the body training. There IS taiji style for real fight, but im afraid you cant even see it or touch it coz the instructor wont teach you unless he wants to be killed or this style cant be continoued.

The instructor can't teach anyone or else he'll be killed? Guess this "fighting taiji" is going to no longer exist after this generation dies. :roll:

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

• 3 months later...

:-? :-? :-?

ALL Taiji styles are, first and foremost, martial arts.

The fact that too many schools around the world teach the *hippy, health* rubbish tai chi is because it takes at least ten years of training to fully understand and utilise this deadly martial art and most of the 'teachers' are inept at best and ignorant at worst.

A true taijiquan teacher knows all aspects of taiji from martial to health.

If the general public were more aware of true taijiquan the standard of training would improve.

I have sparred with much younger men who have studied external martial arts for years and have witnessed first hand how taiji leaves them standing.

Any teacher who tells you there are secrets is either lying or is covering up limited knowledge.

Taijiquan is a profound martial art that can be fully learnt from a competent teacher.

All it takes is many years of training and practice. :D

Be careful of the teacher you choose as his students will be your greatest influence.