• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

defense or attack

which is wiser  

10 members have voted

1. 1. which is wiser

• defense
    • attack

both of them cause if you use just one your gonna get beat if they know what there doing but if they dont, attack would be better

I disagree. I've been in around 10-12 real fights (not tournaments) in my time in the arts, and I've successfully defended myself each time by letting the other person(s) attack me first. What many systems fail to teach is that when a person attacks, he is most vulnerable. His balance isn't good, his torso/head/groin is exposed (depending on what he's throwing at you), and he is providing you with energy that you can use against him.

Nope...I'll take counter fighting over aggression any day. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that does make more sense, come to think of it i do use defense more than attack

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, I'm late on the draw on this but I'll chime in post-poll anyway.

I'll take the attack option any day. Defense is a needed skill, but only to allow you to counter aggresion with your own. Falling into a defensive mindset is something I try to stay away from.

Once confronted with violent behavior, and I mean really in -your-face, spittle flying, guy wanting to rip you up meanness, you must take back the initiave as soon as possible. Make him worry about defending, it limits his ability to conentrate on attacking you, leading to you getting hit less. You need to react in such a manner that destroys either his ability to fight you, or his will to fight you.

This end and the law are not mutually exclusive. From as far as I can tell from reading posts here, I don't think anyone would condone beating on someone once the threat is passed, and that really is the litimus test- has the threat pass? If it has, deescelate. If not, continue to aggressivly act to make the threat pass.

Once confronted with violent behavior, and I mean really in -your-face, spittle flying, guy wanting to rip you up meanness, you must take back the initiave as soon as possible. Make him worry about defending, it limits his ability to conentrate on attacking you, leading to you getting hit less. You need to react in such a manner that destroys either his ability to fight you, or his will to fight you.

This end and the law are not mutually exclusive. From as far as I can tell from reading posts here, I don't think anyone would condone beating on someone once the threat is passed, and that really is the litimus test- has the threat pass? If it has, deescelate. If not, continue to aggressivly act to make the threat pass.

I agree with you here. If we tell our students to never retaliate until they have been attacked, then I think we do them a disservice, and set them up for unneeded liability.

• 2 months later...
well think about the old saying:

your defense is your greatest offense..

of course defense is better, let ur prey come to you :P

I thought it was "the best defense is a good offense..."