• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting older.

Why not take up weapons as you get older? I find them quite fun and much less demanding on my joints (as long as I don't clobber myself with them that is).

That is a good idea. I may do that, but I'm really not interested in training with legacy, traditional MA weapons such as Okinawan farm implements. Gun, knife, etc defense interests me - modern day weapons. Using a cane or umbrella to defend would be interesting. But I would most likely start fencing again before I did any other weapon training.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not take up weapons as you get older? I find them quite fun and much less demanding on my joints (as long as I don't clobber myself with them that is).

That is a good idea. I may do that, but I'm really not interested in training with legacy, traditional MA weapons such as Okinawan farm implements. Gun, knife, etc defense interests me - modern day weapons. Using a cane or umbrella to defend would be interesting. But I would most likely start fencing again before I did any other weapon training.

Know what you mean. But I use the forms learned in TMA with modern implements: sabre=cane; Bo staff=hiking stick; double ax=double collapsed/hooked umbrellas; spear=rifle with bayonet (for teaching teens who may be future GI's), etc. Works out well. I get to train and carry a legal 'weapon' at all times. Many other possibilities, too. Your fencing could even be put to good use with legal-to-carry canes.

'Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it.' --Tielo, 6th Century

'A man, as long as he teaches, learns.' -- Seneca

Well, remember there's more to martial arts and weapons than just pure combative techniques. Both of my videos you can all see online are the present weapons I use for both fitness and forms competition.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

Hello, I will not tell you that I will be 55 years old. Because as long as you can and want to...the training will never stop.

Yes we canno do things we did before...just accept what you can do. Teaching is one of the most important part today for me.

Having things that affects the body...(.yes we must listen to our Doctor's advice,too) Is something we must learn to live with.

Changes in our lives is a part of learning to live. If we must give up things we enjoy doing...than we must accept this.....You can still find another way to share and still enjoy some of the things you like to do.

Our bodies and the genes we got from our parents is something that was given to you......sometimes are good stuffs...others not so good..

I have been diabetic and have High blood pressure (on medications). for along as I can remember.....Love training and help in teaching the classes.

Enjoy every moment...be a excellant role model for others to follow...everyone has ONLY one body and life.....make the most of it.....Aloha

PS: Many people do not like themselves...so they do drugs or get drunk thinking it will change there lives....sucide in the unconsious mind.....

Edited by learning kempo-karate

Know what you mean. But I use the forms learned in TMA with modern implements: sabre=cane; Bo staff=hiking stick; double ax=double collapsed/hooked umbrellas; spear=rifle with bayonet (for teaching teens who may be future GI's), etc. Works out well. I get to train and carry a legal 'weapon' at all times. Many other possibilities, too. Your fencing could even be put to good use with legal-to-carry canes.

Well said! That gives me something to think about.

Knife defense, and some Kali/Arnis training might be up your alley, if you can find a place. That is what I have always wanted to do. You may also want to look into the Combat Cane. That weapon is legal to carry, and they make some very stout, nasty ones. Just something to think about!

My Shorin Ryu renshi trained Combat Cane. That would be great. You'd be one hella old man!

Hello, I will not tell you that I will be 55 years old. Because as long as you can and want to...the training will never stop.

Yes we cannot things we did before...just accept what you can do. Teaching is one of the most important part today for me.

Having things that affects the body...(.yes we must listen to our Doctor's advice,too) Is something we must learn to live with.

Changes in our lives is a part of learning to live. If we must give up things we enjoy doing...than we must accept this.....You can still find another way to share and still enjoy some of the things you like to do.

Our bodies and the genes we got from our parents is something that was given to you......sometimes are good stuffs...others not so good..

I have been diabetic and have High blood pressure (on medications). for along as I can remember.....Love training and help in teaching the classes.

Enjoy every moment...be a excellant role model for others to follow...everyone has ONLY one body and life.....make the most of it.....Aloha

PS: Many people do not like themselves...so they do drugs or get drunk thinking it will change there lives....sucide in the unconsious mind.....

I mentioned this once but I too, am diabetic and have high blood pressure.

I know my limits but I have increased my training and follow my doctors advice with medication and diet. I feel much better and am more energetic. My cholesterol level dropped 150 points and I am still dropping weight (100 pounds and still going) My wife says I have more endurance

:D If you older guys watch your physical health you will see a difference.

We can show those young whippersnappers we still have it! :wink: Now if I can find my upper bridge.....

wheeze

Can you folks suggest MA's that don't require jumping and radical knee movements? BushidoMan mentioned combat Hapkido and Akido was mentioned. Any others?

I've got an RA-like form of arthritis in the feet, both knees, an elbow, both shoulders a hand and my jaw (among a dozen more problems). I'm taking TKD. I was told to get some aerobic exercise by my Internist but he told me I was ready for Karate (purists please don't beat me up, the instructors call it Karate even though it is TKD) when I mentioned a dojong nearby as the only close "gym". I told my rheumatologist and she said that they usually advise against MA because they are considered high impact sports.

I don't want to stop. It is pretty much the only thing I look forward to each week.

Boxing won't make you jump, and only uses the hands to strike with. That could be an option. Tai-chi is low impact, but I'm not sold on its effectiveness.