• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting older.

Am I the oldest guy here, or what? I sometimes wish for the capabilities I had at 48 or 49. Can't really remember 44; and don't believe I was ever 36--maybe in another life :D At 54, have arthritis in my neck, hands, and I think, now, feet. Have only trained in MA for 11 years, but added to Vietnam, dozens of fights growing up, a couple of years of boxing, and all manner of jobs in my 20s (I guess), the old body is starting to complain.

So, here's what I've done:

1) Quit the classes where we threw each other by the neck, and other assorted hard core practice (and no, the sensei was not sympathetic to any modifications--loved him, but not enough to be crippled for it)

2) Stopped hitting things with closed fists, other than on rare occasion to keep the ability (am discovering open hands are better anyway--faster, and more striking options, along with easier transition to grasping)

3) Mixed in more forms, and I don't care what anyone says, video has been helpful

4) Begun teaching more. This allows me to continue practicing what I love, while passing the torch.

5) Begun to take seriously the Chinese Qi Gong remedies for arthritis (et al).

Honestly, I wouldn't trade the peace of passing 50 for all the physical freedom of 40. The things I've been blessed to learn from life and the serenity of realizing I'm not going to make the huge splash that I was sure of in my 30s, are worth the bodily changes. Give up martial arts? How can I give up who I am? But I don't worry about pleasing anyone else, including those who could give me 'promotions', or whatever. Those things are indicators of what someone else thinks of me, and as in the old saying, What other people think of me is none of my business.

Peace to all aging warriors,

HarmoniousWarrior

'Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it.' --Tielo, 6th Century

'A man, as long as he teaches, learns.' -- Seneca

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that weapons forms usually require less leg work and therefore is an excellent alternative martial arts activity if one never trained with them at younger ages. There's also tai chi.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

Don't forget that weapons forms usually require less leg work and therefore is an excellent alternative martial arts activity if one never trained with them at younger ages. There's also tai chi.

Good points! Thanks.

harmoniouswarrior

• 1 year later...

This is such a great thread, I figured I'd resurrect it. I am 45 and currently taking Muay Thai. I am planning to add BJJ next month. However, with some pretty good mileage accruing on my achy body and stretching becoming part of my daily regimen, I'm thinking of going in a different direction. Perhaps eliminating the full contact and not starting a new art where my joints take abuse is wiser. I'm actually considering switching at some point to Tai Chi and taking up fencing again. I know fencing isn't classic kobudo, but I already know how to do it and there is a fencing place right near here. :)

Anybody else have thoughts about themselves aging in their own art?

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Every day, baron, every day! :lol:

My knees just ache almost every day before, during, and after training. I love TKD, but I think my body is liking it less and less. All that aside, I am hoping to test for my 3rd dan within this year.

However, I am working on a back-up plan. I have been reinvigorated in my pursuit of Combat Hapkido, and I have dived in head first! In Combat Hapkido, all of the kicks are low-line kicks, so they aren't near as stressful. I also like the self-defense aspects of the art, which is where I need more focus at this time. I think it will relate very well to my occupation.

By the way, baron, I think fencing would be great fun!

One of the main differences in my forms these days is that I no longer do jumps. Also, due to the ACL surgeries I've had, I no longer hold out my kicks since I have some problems straightening out my legs all the way. However, my circular kicks are still okay.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

Last night I looked at Tai Chi, Qigong, Power Yoga, Pilates, Hatha Yoga, and Kundalini Yoga material on the internet and looked to see where classes in those are given around here. Trouble is, I think I would be bored in any of these. Right now I still plan to stay in Muay Thai and start BJJ, but I will keep a close eye on how I'm doing.

I don't mind getting hit, and a little pain once in awhile keeps you honest in serious arts, but reality is reality. I can't do a side kick to save my life, and it hurts to try. I would probably never use on in a real fight, so I simply won't train them any more.

Getting old sucks, but as my dad says, it beats the alternative.

This is such a great thread, I figured I'd resurrect it.

Thanks, Baron.

I am 45 and currently taking Muay Thai. I am planning to add BJJ next month. However, with some pretty good mileage accruing on my achy body and stretching becoming part of my daily regimen, I'm thinking of going in a different direction. Perhaps eliminating the full contact and not starting a new art where my joints take abuse is wiser.

Only you know you're body, but joints are what made me change direction--not arts, just how I practice and learn them.

I'm actually considering switching at some point to Tai Chi and taking up fencing again. I know fencing isn't classic kobudo, but I already know how to do it and there is a fencing place right near here. :)

I'd say great, if you have the passion for them. Do you feel just as motivated to do the new arts (I coucdn't find anything that came close to the appeal of my base arts), or are you 'settling'. Might be important.

I gave up going to classes with 20-somethings who think they'll live and be young forever (remember?) and replaced it with teaching classes to teens and kids. Began with one class a week a year ago; now have four classes and three different cohorts of kids. And I love it!

Still get the benefit of moving bodies around, improving technique (A man, as long as he teaches, learns--Seneca). Can't rely on getting good info from any previous teachers, because if I'm not paying, I'm not playing. But am discovering other ways to get info/improve.

Spectacular!

Do you feel just as motivated to do the new arts (I coucdn't find anything that came close to the appeal of my base arts), or are you 'settling'. Might be important.

No, I love what I'm currently doing. Right now I plan to stick with Muay Thai and BJJ. If I find that I can't hang - and I'm pretty stubborn and feisty - then I'll worry about changing. I just like to have a backup plan. Quitting altogether is not an option now that I finally have the time to train.