• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first tournament advice

oyamagal

hello. i've been training for about a year and a half and just got my green belt. i'll be in my first tournament in a few weeks - i won't be fighting anyone i've sparred with before because it is at a far away dojo.

i've become much stronger than i ever thought i could be, but i am fairly small (abt 115 pounds). i feel well prepared, but for some reason the thing that is making me most nervous right now is that i'm not comfortable with the idea of really hurting anyone. in class i've been sparring since i began, and i know who i can hit full strength and who i go lighter on, and we get in to a normal rhythm of knowing what eachother can take and pushing just to that limit.

i know it's a tournament and if i don't go hard from the start, i could be taken out before i even begin. how do i push myself to go in as strong as i can when i won't know the level/strength of the person i am fighting?

help greatly appreciated! hope it doesn't sound silly that a trained fighter doesn't want to hurt anyone.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i'll have my first tournament day after tomorrow. i think the most important thing to remember is that IF YOU GET IN THE MATCH WITH A LOOSER MENTALITY YOU WILL LOSE. So don't worry about loosing. I suppose you already know this , before match you have to see the best way to go against certain opponent. His size and mass. Check his stance and find the weak points. ...

DON'T WORRY ABOUT HURTING ANYONE. IF THEY ARE THERE THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. IF YOU WEIGH ONLY 115 POUNDS YOU PROBEBLY CAN'T HURT ANYONE EVEN IF YOU TRIED. I'M 6'6" 327 POUNDS WEIGHT LIFTER, AND I GO ALL OUT AT TOURNEMENTS AND NO ONE HAS BEEN HURT TOO BAD. ALSO YOU SHOULD GAIN WEIGHT, 115 POUNDS IS TO LIGHT FOR A MAN. {ASK YOUR DOCTOR FIRST}

FIGHT TO WIN AT ALL COST!!!!!!! [/b]

GOOD LUCK!!

IF YOU WEIGH ONLY 115 POUNDS YOU PROBEBLY CAN'T HURT ANYONE EVEN IF YOU TRIED.

Oh really? I study under a 7th dan who weighs about that much and I have no doubt whatsoever that she could hurt someone if she tried :lol:

ALSO YOU SHOULD GAIN WEIGHT, 115 POUNDS IS TO LIGHT FOR A MAN.

The post does not indicate whether the poster is male or female nor does the profile.But since the style is "oyama" and the user name is "oyamagal" I'm not sure you should just assume it's a male :roll:

hajime~kyu

The more I think I know, the more I find I have to learn.

Given that most tournaments are divided into weight classes, a 115 pounder should have a fairly equal match in the ring. Weight is not an issue unless you are planning on making it a habit to spar large opponents :) . Of course there will be a time when you will have to (a dan test for example) but I wouldn't worry...they can take it :lol: !!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Remember your opponent is in there to hurt you so you have to take the attitude that I am here to fight and in a fight such as this people get hurt. They understand just like you will that this is a knock-down tournament so you must expect to get some bumps and bruises along the way, so go in there fight as hard as you can and be proud of the fact you challanged yourself and above all else win, lose or draw learn something, weather it is about karate or yourself, the most important thing is to learn, not to win but to learn. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

OSU

thanks everyone for the great advice! it's greatly appreciated.

it was so good to get that fear off my chest and start to move past it. in training this week i can already see i am stronger for it!

you're right that anyone who has gone so far as to enter a tournament (just like me) knows exactly what s/he's getting into.

i will be sure and post after the tourny. osu!

simply assume that in every fight, the opponent is out to hurt you. if it is contact sparring you are doing, that kicks up your fight- or- flight response to give you the buzz you need to go in and score points fast so the fight is over before you know it. get it done as fast as you can.

"Karate is an art. It must be regarded as such with its entirety of philosophical thought and development of the mind in harmony with the body. If it isn't thought of this way it is valueless. It is like eating only the bitter skin of the apple while leaving the sweet inner meat untasted. It is this crucial premise that is being overlooked today, and if the tide is not turned, I must predict the demise of the art. "

-Isao Obata