• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is testing only2xper year normal for lower belts?

rivergirl

At my school we are put up for our tests by our instructor so it is when she feels we have met or exceeded the requirements for the next level. I have taken as long as 5 months on a belt and as little as a month. Thats with me attending every single class with an occasional private lesson. Which is part of the black belt club which is a 2 year commitment that helps to keep you on the track to getting a black belt. Our school is greatly aimed at meeting the needs of each individual so if it takes 2 month it takes 2, but for some it can take much longer and its at no fault to them.

"It's not whos right, but whos left!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only "test" we have at our school is for the dan ranks. For the kyu ranks, we are always being tested, and you gradually get signed off on material as Sensai sees fit. We have three promotion ceremonies per year to reflect the progress made, but that's not really a test.

Even for the dan ranks, you're not going to test unless you've been well tested already.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I go to the same dojo as JoeDeezy. There are promotions every month, and if the instructors believe you are ready to move up, they will put you on the list. It's more of a ceremony than a test, the tests are in class.

Our style has 11 belts before black and there are monthly promotions, but only to a certain extent. When you get five belts away from black it slows down to every six months.

I also test only two times per year.. I'm betting that has more to do with our general schedule; being in college, we simply follow the semesters, testing at the end of both the fall and spring semester.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

We test about three times a year, but because our Sensei has a full-time job outside of karate the times in between can be a bit irregular at times. I try to make sure I ask, or know that he wants me to test, before I test. It would be unfortunate to test and fail.

"Don't tell me what I can't do."