• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is testing only2xper year normal for lower belts?

rivergirl

Just wondering how often people get tested in other dojos...I know that for the higher belts, you can only test every 6-9 months, but for white and yellow belts it is every 3 months if I"m not mistaken...I'm new at all of this so I don't know how things are usually run, wondering if being tested only twice a year is normal...(I'm a white belt)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to schools that tested every six months for low belts and I have been to schools that tested every three months for lower belts so I guess it all depends on the individual school and instructor.

Also be aware that different schools may have a different number of belts so the schools with more belts may test more often.

What works works

It depends on your club. All clubs and styles are different from one another. Karate is an overall name for the art/sport. It could depend on how many belts there are in you club up to black belt, or what is involved in each grading.

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

In my Dojo we have a test for low belts about 2x per year... Because we mainly focus on sparring and techniques

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice"

- Samurai maxim

"If you know the art of breathing you have the strength, wisdom and courage of ten tigers"

- Chinese adage

You can prevent your opponent from defeating you through defense, but you cannot defeat him without taking the offensive.

Currently, testing is held 4 times a year, but just because a testing time is coming up, does not necessarily mean that someone will test.

Private tests are also given, in case if someone cannot make the testing date, or has progressed to the point where there is nothing further to be gained by keeping them at their current rank.

In our school, if you're very active and practice you'll test every three to four months untill you reach three kyu. Then the tests are six to nine months appart. But this also depends on how fast you learn. No rank is just given because you paid your money and showed up once in a while. You have to earn it.

More Practice