• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate dojo etiquette?

Danni Girl

Good evening all,

I had posted awhile back just asking some basic "newbie" questions about Karate. Since then, I have joined a local Karate class and officially begin next week.

When I visited the dojo on Monday, I participated in a class - which was great! I tried my best to follow along and keep up with everyone else. I'm pleased to say that I think I did alright for someone who has only done Tae Bo in the privacy of my basement. :P

I noticed that there is a definate etiquette that needs to be followed - alot of bowing to the Sensei's, Sempai's and Shihan's and bowing to fellow students, as well. Also, they all used a word quite frequently during class; "oos". I'm pretty sure that's not how it's spelled but that's how it sounds. What does that mean? I guess my question to all you experienced practitioners is when do you bow? Upon entering the dojo? When you see your Sensei? Before you leave the dojo after class? I didn't have a chance to absorb it all and I certainly want to have a basic idea before starting class next week.

Oh, one more thing - does anyone know how to count from one to ten in Japanese?? :karate:

Thanks in advance!

Danielle

Brooklyn, NY

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow Danni...congrats on starting classes!! As far as ettiquette goes there is a lot of it but you will catch on fast. Each dojo is different but there are a few of the most common rules I have come across:

- bow when leaving or entering the training floor/dojo

- bow to Black Belts and senior students

- bow when spoken to

- bow to Flag/founder of system before and after class

- bow to training partner before and after training

At our school we bow whenever we speak or move or turn away from the instructor. A lot of bowing going on there!

I am sure that after a few classes you will figure it out and soon it will be second nature.

What style are you studying?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

It probably varies a bit depending on style and type of school.But here are some basics that I think may be fairly standard.It's how things are done in my style and many others.There is a bow on entering and leaving the dojo.This is an inclusive gesture of respect towards the dojo as a whole.The class will use a formal bow to begin and finish the session.When speaking to your sensei or the person leading a group we will bow first and address the person by the appropriate title for their rank.If we are partnered with someone for practice,we will also bow to each other before beginning and when finished.If a person is joining a group they will bow in and will bow out if they are leaving.We do this even for water breaks and that sort of thing.Punctuality is very important,but if someone arrives late for some reason our sensei (7th dan) will usually bow them in.We wait quietly off to the side and do not interupt,and she bows us in when she has the opportunity.Until you get used to it,all this may seem awkward.But it conveys a lot of respect for self and others and this is an important aspect of martial arts.I hope that helps :)

hajime~kyu

The more I think I know, the more I find I have to learn.

Well, the amount of bowing depends on the style, school, instructor, etc, so my advice would be to just bow when everyone else bows, and soon you'll know the appropriate times.

As for counting, it goes like this:

1- Ichi

2- Ni

3- San

4- Shi (or Yon)

5- Go

6- Roku

7- Shichi (or nana)

8- Hachi

9- Kyu (or Ku)

10- Ju

All of these are pronounced like they are spelled. Also, a technicality:

When someone before you has counted to ten, and it is your turn to count for the second set of the same exercise, you could go through the list above. However, some prefer to count Ni, Ni, San Shi...for the second set, San, Ni, San, Shi for the third....etc, like counting 1, 2, 3, 4....10, 2, 2, 3, 4....10, 3, 2, 3, 4.....10....you get the picture. The thing you want to avoid is this: If choosing to count Ni, Ni, San....San, Ni, San, etc. for repeating sets, and yours is the fourth set of ten, do not use Shi, but Yon. The reasoning for this is that you would count Shi, Ni, San...., etc, but Shi Ni in Japanese means, "to die." By the Japanese it is considered bad to do this. Instead, you would start with Yon, then Ni, San, etc. Or, as another option, you could avoid this whole mess and make this rambling pointless by counting the first way, 1-10 for each set (it's so much simpler, but I thought I'd give you that little nugget of knowledge just in case you decided to do that, or were curious).

Sorry if this seems rambly, it does to me, but I couldn't find another way to explain it with text.

Hi

I wrote a set of FAQ for beginners to karate; read them here!

They are set towards a small shotokan bias, because that is what I do but some of the answers are generic.

hope this helps!

Angela

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Hello again,

Wow, thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it. I did try to catch on each time the student/instructor bowed but there were just too many to keep up with! It seems pretty basic now after all your explanations, though. :)

NinjaNurse - the style that this dojo studies is influenced by Kyokushin, Goju-Ryu and Shotokan. Of course, I don't know what any of that means yet or at least, don't know how to tell the various styles apart yet but I'm sure I'll learn.

Kaminari - thanks for the numbers! I was able to pick up on 1 through 5 at the dojo but that's as far as I remembered. Umm, yes .. a little confused by the counting system you outlined for me but I think I got it now. I think! :lol:

Angela - I'll be sure to check out your FAQ as soon as I finish typing this. I'm sure it will be helpful. I could use all the help I can find.

One more question, though. I mentioned that I participated in class on my first visit and did pretty well. The Shihan approached me before class and asked me if I had ever studied before. When I told him 'no', he told me to do what I can then, try to keep up and if I couldn't, it's okay, rest when I needed to. So about 45 minutes into this hour long class, I became thouroughly exhausted and thirsty. So I crept along the wall behind everyone else and walked over to the bench where I sat down for 5 minutes and caught my breath. The Shihan encouraged me to join the class again, which I did. Maybe it was my own paranoia but I felt maybe I did something wrong by sitting down while class was still going on. I know it was my first free trial day and all but for future reference, is it looked down upon when students stop during class? I know some places can be strict about this. Just wondering.

Danielle

In most dojo's...not a good idea to just leave class. It is much better to ask first & then bow out.. But it seems he told you to rest when you wanted to so I wouldn't worry about it now. If it really concerns you ask him before the next class if he prefers you bow out first.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

So about 45 minutes into this hour long class, I became thouroughly exhausted and thirsty.
I suggest drinking lots of water before class. Often times exhaustion is actually dehydration, my endurance vanishes if I haven't gotten enough fluids that day. My recommendation is to get a one gallon glass jug (like an apple juice jug), fill it at the start of the day, and make it your goal to drain it before you go to bed. If you drink water/juice/milk from somewhere else drain that amount out, but if it's soda or coffee it doesn't affect how much of the water you need to drink (don't trade water for coffee - coffee makes you tired anyways, best too wean yourself off it anyhow). That's a healthy amount of fluid to drink in a day.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 1 month later...
the style that this dojo studies is influenced by Kyokushin, Goju-Ryu and Shotokan.

Interesting as kyokushin comes from goju-ryu and shotokan. Now I really want to know what type of karate you are doing...

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

• 3 weeks later...
Also, they all used a word quite frequently during class; "oos". I'm pretty sure that's not how it's spelled but that's how it sounds. What does that mean?

I think you're referring to "ossu" (the "u" is silent). Not sure in the martial arts world but in everyday Japanese, it means "what's up?". It's used in casual conversation with friends and almost exclusively by men. A woman would not sound very feminine saying this but I have heard them say it (rare).

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." --Bruce Lee