• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

UNFIT FOR DUTY

Hello, I'm "HARD HITTER" I just wanted to comment on somethimg that goes on alot around northern OH. I know i'm not alone in this. More and more I see unqualified students gaining belts they do not deserve. I'll give you one exampel I saw: "Nick" is very unfit and he comes to kempo class once a week. He has been there longer thean me. I noticed he is 2nd black. He cant stand on one leg past 2 seconds without loosing his balance! I tried to get him to start strength training and he seys he "been there done that" He has all these promotions on his wall. They just give them to him. Well one day he got mouthy, and I lost all controll and went threw a whole kata on him. I'm only 1 belt higher and I won the fight with ease. What i'm trying to say is if you cant earn it It should not be free. { Stan if you read this I'm sorry, I know it caused you trouble with the law}

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No offence - but if your a higher belt - you shouldnt be losing control and "fighting" a lower grade- 2nd black or not....

I agree that there are many people out there who i see as not deserving the belts they've gained.... but then again who am i to judge!

remember you're the same person and have the same skill when you dont have that belt on as when you do have it so dont others having belts get to you - they're still the same skill level

hypothetical situation:

Person trained for many years attained Sandan ranking.

Took off 5 years no training. Has wife kids and job.

Is he any less a Sandan after earing it because he is not up to the standard currently?

Were you there when "Nick" was a Shodan and before? You do not have to worry about how good anyone else is. Set your own standard for yourself and keep true to it.

As for rank I've trained with Shodans who did test any higher and have remained the same rank for 10 + years. To me they are the meaning of what karate should be.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Wow you put it much better than i did - i always have trouble explaining that:

we get a lot of people taking breaks from training for various reasons...

Well one day he got mouthy, and I lost all controll and went threw a whole kata on him. I'm only 1 belt higher and I won the fight with ease.

Do you mean you had a dance-off with katas, or you attacked him with a kata? Was this consensual or did you catch him off guard?

I have to agree with Sam on this. If you are the higher rank, you shouldn't lose your control with him, you should be guiding him.

shotochem made a very good point also about not losing your rank for taking time off for whatever reason.

I can empathize with the undeserved ranks, however, we have to understand that although they may not be at our standards, they were at someone else's standards and who are we to question his Instructor's authority?

WHEN I WROTE "UNFIT FOR DUTY" I'D HAD A BAD DAY AT WORK {PRISON GUARD} AND I STARTED THINKING OF "NICK" SO I THOUGHT I'D TELL YOU ALL ABOUT MY LOSS OF CONTROLL. "SCOTTNSHELLY" ASKED WHAT I MENT WHEN I SEAD I WENT THREW A WHOLE KATA ON HIM, I GUESS I MENT I WENT THREW A WHOLE TRAINNING REGEME ON HIM WHILE HIS BACK WAS TURNED. I INVENTED THE KATA CALLED "FLYING SPYDER" IT WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO. "SORRY NICK" I NOW WALK WITH JESUS!!! OR AT LEAST TRY TO.

WHEN I WROTE "UNFIT FOR DUTY" I'D HAD A BAD DAY AT WORK {PRISON GUARD} AND I STARTED THINKING OF "NICK" SO I THOUGHT I'D TELL YOU ALL ABOUT MY LOSS OF CONTROLL. "SCOTTNSHELLY" ASKED WHAT I MENT WHEN I SEAD I WENT THREW A WHOLE KATA ON HIM, I GUESS I MENT I WENT THREW A WHOLE TRAINNING REGEME ON HIM WHILE HIS BACK WAS TURNED. I INVENTED THE KATA CALLED "FLYING SPYDER" IT WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO. "SORRY NICK" I NOW WALK WITH JESUS!!! OR AT LEAST TRY TO.

Dude..chill a bit here, no need to "Yell".......if there is one thing your training should teach you is to maintain control of your emotions, or at least at the most appropriate times.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Ok... this is all way to emotional for me - im just confused and ... wel i dont know, lol..

Flying Spider? or flying spyder - as in a soft top car.... he he, jk...

• 1 month later...
hypothetical situation:

Person trained for many years attained Sandan ranking.

Took off 5 years no training. Has wife kids and job.

Is he any less a Sandan after earing it because he is not up to the standard currently?

Gichin Funakoshi says if you take boiling water away from the heat, it stops boiling. If you stop training, you lose it.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Do Black Belts train to control their temper? I think they do in japan.

If you can't control your temper, YOU are "unfit" for your belt. Sorry man.

Any kind of martial arts, there is a physical side, and a mental side. You say your friend "Nick" is unfit because he can't balance his body. I don't think you deserve a black belt because you can't balance your emotions.