• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1 year NHB/MMA training v 10 years japanese martial arts

Sam wrote:

i think it was really a sneaky way of asking whetehr Traditional MA was better than MMA

Well if this was the real intention of the thread, I'd have to say that with a 10 to 1 ratio (years of training), and with the traditional Martial Arts mentioned, the latter is the clear winner in my opinion.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

noone could actually answer this question, i'm sure anyone can give you their opinion, but a fight is chaos, plain and true, and the moment you underestimate someone because they don't have as much training as you is the day they kick your head in. i don't care how black your belt is.

just my two cents

Well said. I don't think this is a question that could really be answered with any real degree of certainy. I have seen guys who have had 8+ years of TKD get into the ring with full contact kickboxers with less than a year of trainign and get their butts whipped. Now granted, it's not a street fight, but if it were, my money would still go to the kickboxer.

I have seen guys with alot of MA training get beat up by people with NO formal training.

Wierd thing about this forum is there is so much THIS STYLE vs. THAT STYLE, WHO WOULD WIN IN A UFC USING THIS OR THAT, ETC, ETC.

Fact is in the street there is absoulutly no way to guarantee anything.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

So,

which is better:

one year playing guitar in a honky tonk band in every dive between Houston and Baton Rouge or

ten years music study in Juliard? Hmmmm?

I love the music analogy! :D

You'll learn completely different things. After 10 years at Juliard, you will be 2nd to none at your instrument. You'll know every in and out of musical theory and practice. But I've seen some very well trained musicians who just can't jam.

But, those who can jam are very limited. Example: He can play some kick-butt blues in E on a steel-string, but he's screwed in the key of F on a dobro. The Juliard student will have the same improv skill regardless of key, tempo, instrument, or style.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I wasnt saying it wast he real intention - just that it was how it seemed to me - otherwise why pose the question? and such a high ratio?

I agree the one with 10years would probably win in obscure situations [different rules / no rules / whatever] but the fight may be more close to even [still would back the guy with 10yrs training] if the rules favoured teh 1 year [same rules as theyd trained for, etc.]

• 3 weeks later...

i guess noone can really answer that question either, that would be someone's opinion ;)

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo

Oufff, that somewhat surprises me, I have done a bit of BJJ, and I don't see how you could have beat him if he has trained for 17 years in Tang soo do (although I don't know much about this art) Are you way stronger physically? how was the fight arranged? I mean was it an all out street-like confrontation (I doubt it) Because if you fought on mats, with rules and all, it surely did limit what your friend could do.

I know that with 3 months of training in BJJ i was able to beat my friend who was going for his 4th degree black belt in Tang Soo Doo and had been training for 17 years.

Either you are a total anomoly, or your friends training is severely lacking.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Maybe he stopped training for a while - like got to 4th degree, and started teaching so much and not getting a chance to train, or not trainign while he taught, etc. etc. you see that sort of thing quite a bit.