• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To train with a Gi or no Gi?

I understand that but I think you are missing his point. I think he pointed out that the HIGHER PERCENTAGE moves could be pulled off with or without the gi. When I say high percentage I mean the stuff that you commonly see done in mma and adcc type events such as; armbars, naked chokes, and stuff like that.

I know what he's saying, but he's not giving a reason that you should train primarily in the gi. Yeah, you can use a lot of the stuff from gi grappling without the gi, but you can use everything done in no-gi whether you and your opponent are naked or wearing coats.

IMO, no-gi should be your focus if you want to learn to defend yourself, compete in no-gi events, or compete in MMA.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most of the people in MMA didn't start out training for MMA, either, but with a certain style. I bet in a few years a lot of the top people will be people who started training specifically for MMA.

Honestly I cant wait to see, Im unsure- Will guy with a strong background in wresling, grappling or striking be on top ..guy's like Cro Cop with his kickboxing background, Couture with his wrestling background, yoshida with his Judo background, or Nog with his Jiu jitsu. Or will guys who have trained mma as a whole since day 1 dominate..I guess we will just have ot wait and see. It seems most of the top guys at this point come from a background in one stlye...but there are plenty of exceptions.