• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To train with a Gi or no Gi?

I am faily new to BJJ. Right now I am learning in an informal setting. We as a group have chosen not to use a Gi in our training.

I want to know if this is normal? Do most BJJ people begin training with a Gi or with no Gi, or does that depend on how and why they are training?

Is it better to train with or without a Gi? From what I have seen most formal BJJ classes train with the Gi.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You will hear conflicting opinions but I will put in my thoughts. Generally most of the Top guys in the sport think it's best to train with a Gi atleast in the begining, then take it off later if you want ot go that path. I personally belive you will develop better fundementals if you train with a Gi early on. People have more control over you and escapes from various positions aswell as Submissions are alot more difficult and require more techniwue when wearing a Gi.

But there are school that choose to train no Gi only and if they just want to compete in submission wrestling or MMA then it's nderstandable.

If you look at most of the top grapplers out there in Submission grappling, ADCC, or BJJ most of them atleast started with a Gi.

In judo most people advocate training with the gi because it is more realistic then training without it because afterall, no one fights naked. This is true to a certain extent. While no one fights butt naked, clothing such as t-shirts are not exactly a gi if you catch my drift. Some throws will be null in void in street situations unless the person is wearing a thick shirt, sweater, or jacket. But when it comes to submissions you should be able to pull off all of the high percentage submissions such as cross body armbars, triangle chokes, naked chokes, neck cranks, and kneebars. I don't see a problem training with the gi primarily with that in mind, but it does feel good to get out of it sometimes.

I'm only going to ask you once...

It depends what you want to get out of your training. If you want to succeed in MMA, submission wrestling, real fights, etc. then go with no-gi. If you want to be good at gi grappling or have a few more options on the street (in the event that your opponent happens to be wearing a very thick, strong article of clothing) then go with gi training. If someone attacks you on "the street" they'll probably be wearing a t-shirt or something. T-shirts etc. usually aren't loose enough for gi chokes and aren't strong enough to be used as handles for throwing or clinching. IMO no-gi is better for self defense because you learn to control a person without relying on additional handles, you just use their body. It works with clothing and without it (I've done no-gi grappling in jeans and a sweatshirt).

But when it comes to submissions you should be able to pull off all of the high percentage submissions such as cross body armbars, triangle chokes, naked chokes, neck cranks, and kneebars. I don't see a problem training with the gi primarily with that in mind, but it does feel good to get out of it sometimes.

How is that a reason to train in the gi? Everything you just named can be done easily without the gi.

Quote:

But when it comes to submissions you should be able to pull off all of the high percentage submissions such as cross body armbars, triangle chokes, naked chokes, neck cranks, and kneebars. I don't see a problem training with the gi primarily with that in mind, but it does feel good to get out of it sometimes.

"How is that a reason to train in the gi? Everything you just named can be done easily without the gi."

And where did I say it wasn't? I basically said that subs could be pulled off with the gi or without it. Only throws are in question when it comes to gi or no gi training. And for the record when people talk about no gi training they are usually talking about MMA style grappling without a shirt or anything. Well that isn't exactly the height of realism because of that fact that in MMA a person can slip out of a triangle choke for example because of heavy sweating and the like (See ufc 50 Trigg v Cherismo), where as on the streets they will have on clothing that will aide you in your submission attempts much like if they were wearing a gi.

I'm only going to ask you once...

If you want to succeed in MMA, submission wrestling, real fights, etc. then go with no-gi.

Most of the top grapplers in MMA have a base in Gi training....

If you want to succeed in MMA, submission wrestling, real fights, etc. then go with no-gi.

The guys I train with, at least a couple of them, are aspiring MMA people. Not me. I am just interested in Martial arts for their own sake. I have no real desire to compete in MMA even on an amature level. I would be interested in BJJ tourneys and stuff.

I supposed the MMA is the reason we are doing no Gi. I have found that most BJJ practioners encourage you to start with a Gi, though.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

And where did I say it wasn't? I basically said that subs could be pulled off with the gi or without it. Only throws are in question when it comes to gi or no gi training.

Really? A lot of chokes rely on the gi, as do a lot of guard passes, pins, reversals, etc.

And for the record when people talk about no gi training they are usually talking about MMA style grappling without a shirt or anything. Well that isn't exactly the height of realism because of that fact that in MMA a person can slip out of a triangle choke for example because of heavy sweating and the like (See ufc 50 Trigg v Cherismo), where as on the streets they will have on clothing that will aide you in your submission attempts much like if they were wearing a gi.

So wrestling doesn't count as no-gi? I've never seen anyone train in wrestling without a shirt... we all just wore t-shirts and sweat pants or shorts. It was the same way when I trained in sub grappling/mma. The only time the slipperiness really effects anything is during matches (in mma because people don't usually wear shirts and wrestling because of singlets). Most of your mat time is in training, though.

Most of the people in MMA didn't start out training for MMA, either, but with a certain style. I bet in a few years a lot of the top people will be people who started training specifically for MMA.

I understand that but I think you are missing his point. I think he pointed out that the HIGHER PERCENTAGE moves could be pulled off with or without the gi. When I say high percentage I mean the stuff that you commonly see done in mma and adcc type events such as; armbars, naked chokes, and stuff like that.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/