• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stuck in Pennsylvnia

Hey, at least you don't live in Lebanon, Perry, or Juniata. That IS farmland.

Theres a cool girl who does kickboxing at a YMCA I believe in Harrisburg (The city part, not the suburbs that count as Harrisburg). She's German and I can't think of her name, but I do believe she's quite recognized and her students go to tournaments quite a lot, if thats what you're looking for. I'm not in her class but this is what I hear.

If you're closer to Philly I don't know.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be happy you don't live in Huntingdon. I don't think Lancaster is far away from here, though.

Here, there's a Goju dojo (my school), Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, and I'm not sure if the Judo guy is still around.

But we're missing the point.

Central PA is dull.

Move. :D

Kidding, kidding. I sorta know the feeling, living in Erie and all. Luckily, we somehow manage to have a Grandmaster in Kuntao teaching here. His school is pretty much the only school I would bother with around here. No aikido closer than Pittsburgh, no Shaolin Kung Fu. It's mostly Goshin Jutsu, and I have absolutely no interest in that.

Basically, if I were in your shoes, I would buy some videos online and some books. Not as great as learning from a master, but if you have no other options, then what can you do? If you don't think you can learn it this way, then I guess the suggestion to move might not have been as funny as I thought.

Hey, fallen_milkman, I live in Jamestown, N.Y. Have you ever been up my way? My wife and I go to Erie several times a year. As a matter of fact, my son and I came down over Labor Day to see Revenge of the Sith at Tinsel Town. One of my cousins studies and teaches Kuntao in Florida. Some consider him to be a master. (I do)

Yea, we have a Goshin Jutsu school here also. Run by Gaffar Adams. Maybe you've heard of him. He and his students participate in a lot of tournaments in Erie. I've gone to a couple of them that were run by King Cobra, but I/we don't participate. Just to watch.

Sorry I hijacked this thread. :(

Regards,

Carl

Depends what your interested in, I guess....If you have any interest in TSD whatsoever, check out Mimidis Karate. Master Mimidis is a great guy, and a great teacher, and his dojang is pretty darn nice as well.

https://www.mimidiskarate.com

i was actuily there for a while...

seemed to much of belt factory to me...

i was (not just gloating) exceptional compaired to my peers, and i progressed and was treated exactly the same, i bored of it after a year.

Hay Carl. Yeah, I used to go camping around your way when I was a Cub/Boy Scout. If you're familiar with King Cobra, you hay have heard of my Grandmaster, Master John Kinkead. He does some judging in those, from what I understand. I don't actually learn from him but from one of his students, Sifu Matt Borczon.

36 styles of danger

Depends what your interested in, I guess....If you have any interest in TSD whatsoever, check out Mimidis Karate. Master Mimidis is a great guy, and a great teacher, and his dojang is pretty darn nice as well.

https://www.mimidiskarate.com

i was actuily there for a while...

seemed to much of belt factory to me...

i was (not just gloating) exceptional compaired to my peers, and i progressed and was treated exactly the same, i bored of it after a year.

Well, I can't speak to that, as I've never been part of a class there, but knowing Master Mimidis, it surprises me if that is the case.

As for the treatment issue, I can speak to that a little bit, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I don't treat exceptional students any better than average students, other than perhaps pushing them harder, and as for the progression thing, well that's up to the instructor.

Sounds like you're looking for something more "hard core", in which case I would suggest looking up Master Beam's school, which was a much different environment, at least it was 5-10 years ago.

I'll admit that in most TSD schools it will take significantly longer than a year to get into those aspects of training, but Master Beam was always more "old school", but in a good way.

I'm sure if you keep looking long enough, you'll find more of what you want. Be up front and honest with the instructors about what you want, and they should be able to tell you whether they can help you.

As for the belt factory thing, again, I can't speak to it, but like I said, it surprises me.

I'm not saying you're making a unfounded accustation, so please don't misinterpret what I'm saying; it just seems that any studio that teaches children and uses a belt syetem is labeled as a belt factory or McDojo these days...

Hay Carl. Yeah, I used to go camping around your way when I was a Cub/Boy Scout. If you're familiar with King Cobra, you hay have heard of my Grandmaster, Master John Kinkead. He does some judging in those, from what I understand. I don't actually learn from him but from one of his students, Sifu Matt Borczon.

No, I've never heard of him. As I said before, I/we don't participate in tournaments. So I really don't know to many people who do. I go down to tournaments once or twice a year just as a looki-loo. Sometimes just for something to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Carl

Teal, there is a school out her emy way in Mt Joy that teaches Okinawan martial arts. Shorin ryu being the main discipline being taught there. I dont remember the name if the school but can check it out for ya if you like.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense