• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Choosing a knife to buy for self defense purposes, need help

I need help choosing between two knives. The purpose of this buy is for a knife very well suited for self defense as a last case scenario. The two knives I want the Benchmade Skirmish http://benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=630

And the spyderco civilian http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=60

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I personally would go with the Benchmade Skirmish. It looks a lot more "ccol" but if your buying it for self defense, if you try to stab with the spyderco civilian, there's a chance that, because of the curve of the point, you could end up sliding off. The spyderdo might be hard to make a slash and bring back for a second strike. The Benchmade will probably be easier to slash with and pull back for a second attack. Hope I helped and made sense. The Spyderco could also be more difficult and awkward to carry. Good luck!

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Any knife can be dangerous. My cousin was cut up pretty bad by some crack head with a butter knife.

I would suggest that you should handle the knife before you buy it. Make sure that it is the right balance. I don't know how much you know about using a knife, but you have to find the one that feels right in your hand. Remember it is only self-defense.

I believe I will go with the camillus if I get word back that it is legal to carry non-concealed (5.5 inch blade, might have problems there)

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

I believe I will go with the camillus if I get word back that it is legal to carry non-concealed (5.5 inch blade, might have problems there)

If it isn't legal, I would go for the same style handle because it doesn't limit the hand to one gripping postion like the other two that you posted.

BTW, Iam sure that you can find a knife compariable that is cheaper than that one...

Thats the retail price. I can get it at a store for about 130-140 i believe. Same with the other two knives.

Joshua Brehm

Would the curve of a blade not make it easier to cut? Blade curvature is designed so attacks along a straight line act as if the blade was being slid along the flesh without having to actually do so.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

That civilian was designed to be a slashing knife, not a penetrating knife, though I'm sure if you changed the angle you had the knife at when thrusted into someone it'd work just as well as any other.

But, it was designed for self defense for cops so they wouldnt kill the guy they were using the knife against. If I'm without witnesses and this guy means business, then it might actually be easier for me and my family if I kill him and say I needed to than to stab him and have him testify against me in court.

Joshua Brehm