• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Neko Ashi Dachi - Weight Distribution and Applications

Shorin Ryuu

we're never really taught stances other than one that are used in katas, our stance for our sparring purely depends on you

Which brings up the debate over how much stances used in kata should be used in sparring (or fighting). I think most people tend to use their kata far less than they "should" while sparring. Some of this is due to the nature of sparring in that some stances which are practical while fighting are not practical while sparring with rules and limitations. I agree you shouldn't be so set in your ways that you can't adapt to a situation, but I feel there is a definite utility in stances (which should be transitory anyway).

I wrote a post on this a while back:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=17994

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for neko ashi dachi I have 90% on the back foot, the length of the stance is the same as shizentai dachi (natural step length). IMO it is a totally transitional stance, like zenkutsu dachi (front leaning stance) and jigotai dachi (horse stance) - none of them are fighting postures.

I am finding out about the relasionship of stances and have found that my naihanchi dachi (shoulder width) is the same as my shizentai dachi, and the same as my sanchin dachi - these stances would be my only choice for fighting postures, kamae if you like. This seems to have merit when looking at historical photos of OSensei Nagamine and OSensei Motobu.

Back on subject I use nekoashi dachi in kumite for front kick defense and 45 degree movement to the side, taisabaki. but never stay in the stance, it lacks mobility and strength. also use it to 'recieve' an attack and spring out of it with offence.

Yours in karate

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org

I practice the stance with the majority of the weight on my back leg. Heel of front foot slightly off the floor. I ave been shown one of the uses of this stance can be as an evasive movement. Someone attacks with pucnh, you drop back in cat stance to slip the punch slightly whcih sets up for a trap, throw, etc. its also as Shorrin ryuu out a good transition stance from moving from stance to stance, switching angles, distributing weight. I have also seen it used with the front leg serving as a fulcrum for a break, although that is kind of hard to explain in writing. hope this helps somewhat.

Although i do not use it that often in sparring due to limitations of sparring..i could see its benefits in a live situation.

I feel that it's uses come more apparant on an advanced level. I somewhat disagree with Anonymous one. Why would it be so prevalent in so many katas throughout so many styles of karate if it was not there for a reason.

Basically..everything has meaning, it just takes time to see it. It know it seems impractical at times, but i just do not think virtually every kata would include it just for the heck of it.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."