• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Neko Ashi Dachi - Weight Distribution and Applications

Shorin Ryuu

Way back when I posted a poll about the neko ashi dachi (cat stance) the consensus was that pretty much everyone and their moms had it in their style.

So now I figure it would be interesting to discuss common weight distributions and various applications for it.

For example, I tend to use a 60% back leg / 40% front leg distribution which allows for a pronounced weight shift back and then forward again employing the use of the wave (namigaeshi) in manipulating an opponent's energy/momentum in close quarters. Or in other cases, I may weight the front foot heavier as it is a pressing attack against the top of the opponent's foot. And so on and so forth. I might post some more specific or detailed ones later on, but I'm interested in what you all think.

As there were about 50 votes for "yes" on the poll which asked how many people had a neko ashi dachi, I'm eagerly awaiting some interesting responses...

Edited by Shorin Ryuu

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been taught either 70/30 for stability in the stance, or 90/10 in preparation for a fast front kick. I've never thought about those other applications you posted Shorin. Hmmmm....interesting.

most of the weight is on the back foot, minimal weight on front foot (If some one swept your front foot, it should move then return back into place). That is what I was told for kodudo. I thats what I do in my regular kata too.

From this I believe that in my own use is to avoid a front foot attack... Perhaps throw a front snap kick.

I used to use neko ashi datchi during kumite, I would wait in neko ashi and wait for them to get in range, then nail them with a kizami maegeri, but people in my kumite divisions are too fast for that now. My front foot is usually barely touching, nearly all of the weight on the back leg.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Our school is 60/40

However I dont like the stance at all and feel its impractical as a fighting stance.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

My present style uses "cat" stance as a 70/30 however we also have a few variations of it because of the Chinese influence on the style. One is about 90/10, the other about 80/20.

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I use a 60/40 or 50/50 with heel very close to the floor, this is what i heard okinawans do not a fantsy stance at all, i hate to stand in Nekoashi and wait for snap kick, my sensei proved it that it's wrong in real fight ,he ramed into my posture every time not care of getting hit just body change. in practical i keep my front foot on the floor without puting too much weight on it.

My Shotokan instructor had us using a 75/25 distribution.

My Tae Kwon Do instructor had us using 80/20.

My previous dojo also used 80/20.

My current dojo doesn't really call for a weight distrubution ratio; instead, your weight is entirely on the back foot, and the ball of your front foot touches the ground.

I use a 60/40 or 50/50 with heel very close to the floor, this is what i heard okinawans do not a fantsy stance at all, i hate to stand in Nekoashi and wait for snap kick, my sensei proved it that it's wrong in real fight ,he ramed into my posture every time not care of getting hit just body change. in practical i keep my front foot on the floor without puting too much weight on it.

Ah, I forgot to mention this and you reminded me. My heel is very close to the ground as well.

Any more takers? Keep the comments coming!

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/