• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What a test

Uechi Kid

My sensei surprised me the other day at a kyu test. He said that he wanted to do a Black Belt demo. Next thing I know I’m doing all of the requirement for nidan (It’s been six years since I tested for shodan) I’ve had some health problems. Any way, He rocked me like I way twenty years old (I’m 49). Well I passed with flying colors and I didn’t even know I was testing. When he presented the certificates, he called me up and gave me mine. I was sooo blown away.

:D :D :D :D

More Practice

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats! I wish all gradings were suprise gradings like that. I get so nervous sometimes, and it affects my performance. Luckily my Sensei is doing the test himself (and not someone I hardly train with), or else there's been a few cases where I think I should've failed. If all our tests were like that, my life would be so much less stressful.

You said you'd been a shodan for 6 years, just wondering how long it took you to get there. From what I'm told its usually 4-6 years for white-black.

Congrads :)

I got suprised tested for my 5th gup in TSD. I couldn't make the regular test because of health problems. So when I came back to training, I got tested and didn't know it (my instructor did it during regular class. He had the whole class do their requirements .... should have been a hint, but I didn't get it LOL)! I wasn't nervous at all (didn't know I was being tested). I couldn't spar (because of a recent surgery at the time) but I did everthing else and passed with flying colors. So I know how ya feel :)

Laurie F

Well done. I had a surprise test back when I took my 4th kyu. I was all on my own, and he got the yudansha up to do my sparring and oyo etc. I felt like I was on centre stage! :lol:

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

My 1st level (black belt in Chuan Fa) test was a surprise. I had been a brown sash for some time and, like Ninjanurse, we trained everyday like it was a test. One day I was asked to take a student outside and teach her some movements with the long staff. When they called us back in the school, the tea ceremony began.

Similarly, my Shodan in Aiki Jujitsu was the same way (different school of course). I was asked to "demonstrate" what the students will be soon learning. At the end of the test I was awarded Shodan in Aiki Jujitsu.

It was all very cool.

Congratulations in earning Nidan.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Congrats. I think this surprise test and the positive feedback by you and others really does emphasize in my opinion the artificial nature imposed by the kind of testing conducted in most places.

Edit: Oh yeah. Where in Northen California are you, Uechi Kid?

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/