• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jiu-Jitsu Introduction

For them that don't know what Jiu-jitsu is, then read this.

Jiu-jitsu is a kind of mix of karate, judo, and aikido (correct me if I'm wrong). Jiu-jitsu is stricly a form of selfdefence, and one of the worlds best.

You start to learn basic falling techniques when being pushed for example. You learn were the most painful and most exposted parts of the body are, and of course were to hit, and how to hit.

You learn to control the attacker (also called Uke), and how to take advantage of his strength. How to break the attackers balance.

You learn many throwing techniques, locks, and gripping techniques, for instance on the attackers wrist. These locks are VERY painful when done correct!

It means "Gentle Art". Personally I don't think the name is very appropriate. I would rather call it "Ouch!". LOL :grin:

My knowledge is still a little limited as I only have the green belt. But here is a list of the grades you can get in Jiu-jitsu:

6 KYU - White belt

5 KYU - Yellow belt

4 KYU - Orange belt

3 KYU - Green belt

2 KYU - Blue belt

1 KYU - Brown belt

1 DAN - Black belt

You can get up to 10th DAN. 5th-10th DAN are honor grades. Meaning you have to do something for Jiu-jitsu, like founding a new type of Jiu-jitsu, or building a new dojo, etc.

I hope this was interesting! Please e-mail me if you wan't to know some more about Jiu-jitsu, and I'll post it here on the board.

Lars Østergaard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I might be wrong but if you are doing a 'one step' in Judo/Ju-jitsu the person who is 'taking the fall' is the Uke, and the person performing the technique is the "Tory" (I am not sure how it is spelled). What I mean is I think it is 'reversed' from what you said, but I may be wrong

it is a lot of fun, ju-jitsu I mean. You are right it does make some use of things that are similar to Aikido, as far as I have found out Aikido is more of a 'defensive' art. Meaning you take anything your opponent does and turn it against him. I promise you Aikido HURTS, ju-jitsu is a little bit more 'toned downed' but it still does make a lot of use of things like the wrists and nerve points to subdue an opponent.

sensei lars; checked out that site. i have only one question and that is how much it cost to sign up. it didn't say on the sign up page. do you know?

:???:

rushman

3rd dan

wtf/kukkiwon

florida

[ This Message was edited by: iamrushman on 2001-06-06 22:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: iamrushman on 2001-06-06 22:38 ]

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson