• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

in my style it is dojo etiquette to always train in your gi and belt, but never play around or eat in it. im guessing that it applies outside the dojo too?

"Karate is an art. It must be regarded as such with its entirety of philosophical thought and development of the mind in harmony with the body. If it isn't thought of this way it is valueless. It is like eating only the bitter skin of the apple while leaving the sweet inner meat untasted. It is this crucial premise that is being overlooked today, and if the tide is not turned, I must predict the demise of the art. "

-Isao Obata

I will always wear my uwagi to class, but when I train at home I usually just wear something comfortable and easy to move in. But in both situations, I still wear my belt because I believe that the belt represents all that you have learned, and if you train outside the dojo you are still learning something. But I try to never wear my belt anywhere in public (outside my own yard) as that shows ego.

"Daniel-san! Daniel-san! It okay lose to opponent,

must not lose to fear!"

~ Mr. Miyagi ~

true. thats why you never wash your belt. your belt represents your spirit and the accumulated knowledge you gain from practice. if you dont at least wear your belt every time you practice, it would kind of leave your belt at the short end compared to yourself.

"Karate is an art. It must be regarded as such with its entirety of philosophical thought and development of the mind in harmony with the body. If it isn't thought of this way it is valueless. It is like eating only the bitter skin of the apple while leaving the sweet inner meat untasted. It is this crucial premise that is being overlooked today, and if the tide is not turned, I must predict the demise of the art. "

-Isao Obata

But I think that's the point where it is too far. You shouldn't mentally associate your belt with your spirit and accumulated knowledge.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

can i help it that i agree with shaolin karate kempo etiquettes? lol

-Isao Obata

If it affects your fighting ability without the belt, then there is a problem. If not, then you can believe anything you want.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

If it affects your fighting ability without the belt, then there is a problem. If not, then you can believe anything you want.

well i wouldn't go around the mall in my uniform if thats what your thinking. i just think its proper to wear your belt as you train, not that it affects the ability of someone to fight. for me karate is a very spiritual thing in which i strive for perfection of the set system and the continuation of the art. i have an understanding of the chaos theory, and that doesnt really keep my mind settled. being a philosoph and a logicist does not really allow me to let the ideas of chaos theory come to rest. so i started karate to get my mind off of it and im grateful for the easing of my pain. the inability to arrive at truth is a helpless torture to me, and i found something that keeps me from the pursuit. therefore i've found that the only way to have my true life,i realized that "Putting my everyday living into karate, i have found the ideal state of existence"

-iskf master camp 2005 theme

-Isao Obata