• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate in the Olympics?

Fox_NFLs_GG

Hopefully it would stay out of the olympics , it's allready watred down , that would make it loose it's "spirit". Talking about Shotokan karate here , right ???

Actually all Japan / okinawan styles. I know that the AAU has changed its kata judging system to three judges with flags and two competitors doing kata at the same time, the one that gets two flags wins. However the one that doesn't win gets atleast another chance to do kata and medal. I was told that the change was recommended by the olympic commitee. I was also told that WKF / AAU rules will be used for point fighting.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turning a martial art into a sport and adding rules deminishes the art in my view.

Contest with rules where there are limitations is never a true test of skill.

"Hey I won the national championship" .... But your oponent wasnt allowed to use a groin kick which he could have easily delivered, he saw the opening and had to refrain because of the rules.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Turning a martial art into a sport and adding rules deminishes the art in my view.

Contest with rules where there are limitations is never a true test of skill.

"Hey I won the national championship" .... But your oponent wasnt allowed to use a groin kick which he could have easily delivered, he saw the opening and had to refrain because of the rules.

Isn't controlling ones self a skill?

Depends on the application, could just be a choice that anyone can make

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I am all for tradition, but as an instructor I need to have the sports aspect incoporated in order to keep and gain interest in my school. From day one I tell my students the difference real fighting and point fighting. Point fighting doesn't work on the street, however it is controlled fight that shows that they are able to control their techniques with distance and timing. Point fighting shows the Discpline of your students. However it should be taught seperate due to the confusion it causes.

I am all for tradition, but as an instructor I need to have the sports aspect incoporated in order to keep and gain interest in my school. From day one I tell my students the difference real fighting and point fighting. Point fighting doesn't work on the street, however it is controlled fight that shows that they are able to control their techniques with distance and timing. Point fighting shows the Discpline of your students. However it should be taught seperate due to the confusion it causes.

"keep and gain interest in my school"

Hmmmmm

7th Dan Chidokai

"keep and gain interest in my school"

Hmmmmm

I was talking about kids. If there isn't something constantly special going on, most lose interest. In todays world Kids will not be happy with what they have. They live the American way, they want everything right now. If they don't get it they will leave and if you don't give them more they will leave. Point fighting, tournament classes, and other things out side of the regular routine tend to keep attendence high... Regular classes give them something to work for, but extra stuff to work for.

Kids do not understand that they need to get better. The parents enforce a fast paced life, If you can go through the motions its good enough. If johnny is not learning learning a hundred new katas a week, it isn't good enough. I guess these extra classes are just appleasement to the parents. It helps keep the doors open. Period.

I train traditionally, and have seperate classes with extra stuff such as point fighting.

There are too many different styles of karate so I don't think that someday it will be in olympics... but I have some hope :karate:

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice"

- Samurai maxim

"If you know the art of breathing you have the strength, wisdom and courage of ten tigers"

- Chinese adage

You can prevent your opponent from defeating you through defense, but you cannot defeat him without taking the offensive.

Fox_NFLs_GG is right, plus , who says that point fighting doesn't prepare you for the street ??? As a kyokushin student , I am totally against point fighting and prefer full contact style , but again , aren’t you performing karate techniques in point fighting ?? isn't tournament classes a karate class ??? Tournaments have variables that control it and street have variables that control it , to each his own . Oh , I forgot to mention that tournament sparring plays a big role in building confidence.

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike