• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maliwara users?

Freddy

Its interesting to note that of all the Karate masters in history, Egami is the only one that I know of, that made those claims about using a makiwara.

I am extremely skeptical of his claim that people who use a makiwara have ineffective punches.

"I many times found people with calloused fists due to makiwara training, where the first knuckles were covered with a black thick hard covering as a heel. They were terrible hands to look at but when I asked them to hit me, their blows were not effective. These experiences made me distrust the makiwara". - Egami

Boxers dont use a makiwara and yet knock people to the ground with gloves on.

As someone that teaches muay thai with some boxing experience I'd like to point out that if a boxer wasn't wearing their gloves they would hurt themselves very badly with some of the punches they are throwing. The punches have to be modified in boxing to be effective without gloves and most people I know really don't have a clue on how to effectively apply boxing without gloves(and not injuring themselves).

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a supporter of makiwara training especially for those that are breaking and are looking to use karate as a self defense method. I have used a makiwara for the past 13 years not everyday but a couple days a week. I can hit very hard surfaces and still be ok. It does show a little on my knuckles from the training but I have never hurt myself by using a makiwara. I think it is good to some degree but extreme I think is bad. But it will not effect the power of the strike except to make it harder. At least thats the way I view it.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Makiwara training (partner training) is supposed to be about timing, distance and speed. It has absolutely nothing to do with conditioning your hand/knuckles.

The traditional makiwara post can be supplemented with a punch/kick shield/bag as well as a partner. The makiwara post is/was meant to be used in your own time at home, whereas other makiwara (shield/bag/partner) is suposed to be used at the dojo.

Using makiwara (post, shield, partner) is absolutely vital in Martial Arts, otherwise you are strking thin air.

i've been doing makiwari for 20 yrs and don't have any problems. The key to doing it if you choose to do it is to start out very slow and slowly work your way up to harder tougher surfaces. If you go to fast (which most people do) then you will hurt yourself and damage your hand, maybe permanently. But if you do it correctly and slowly and build up with years of practice it can work well for you. Just don't rush it or you'll get hurt.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

You dont hit a makiwara board to make your hits stronger, you do it so when you hit people or things it doesnt hurt you...

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• 2 weeks later...
Those last two videos are of my Sensei.

:)

I am very impressed by Kyoshi Noujaim's technique and focus going by the demo video I just got from Sensei David Rogers. I trained in the Shorinkan system for 2 years before moving back to Ohio from Indiana and I have a great respect for the system and its black belts.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I have used the makiwara and understand its application, but I feel I derive greater benefit from bag work with bare knuckles or gloves. I use bare knuckles to ensure I am striking correctly and add the gloves for greater reps.

I come from a boxing background originally so I have that as a reference.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu